Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 08:39 PM

Default Re: My new split (AKA triumphant return)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Your exercise selection is terrible. The split isn't that hot for a general physique person unless they know they respond to it very well.

You got too much volume. You don't break apart your carido/weight lifting.

And you created it. Just copy someone else's. Or use a framework they provide.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like how you drop knowledge on everyone else's routine like your some sort of expert bodybuilder or personal trainer. Your not even in shape are overweight and you drink all the time. You read more about strength training then actually hitting the gym. Your like a wannabe that never will be. Please stop with your "expert" analysis, its really starting to get annoying. THX

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF are you talking about? I think BB routines like this are generally pretty terrible. He uses way too many sets and way too much failure training. His split works for a very small percentage of people.

As for the personal dig at me. That is completely meaningless. I could weight 300 lbs and the advice would be of the same quality. But out of curiosity, how did you come up with that I was "overweight"? I mean I'm working on it my best. As I type this I'm trying to shovel cashews into my not hungry stomach.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:07 PM

jihad, I do this sometimes too, read a bunch, try to make up my own routine, it works for about a week, than I realize Im not superhuman/working efficiently, and I revert to a simpler, straight from a book routine. honestly, its just too much imo, you are going to be spinning your wheels, unless you are on a cycle (this is a perfect routine for a cycle imo, maybe a few less reps for each exercise though), but otherwise, Id cut your sets down to 3, maybe 4 (light warmup) than 10/7/5 reps @ 3 sets. You are hitting your tris really hard to, you wont be able to get the most out of your monday workout imo, because your tris will are getting too punished.

IMO, to get that [censored] the world, Im a bear that will eat and [censored]-you-out-feeling, while your goals are strength and losing weight, I like strong man stuff, crazy heavy farmers walks, BARBELL bent over rows, shrugs with 100lb d-bells, tire flipping. "the bear" by john davies etc.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:44 AM

guids,

Thankx for the input, your worries are mine. I feel like I'll be able to get through the first week and take a good look at the future of the routine. After posting it, I thought some more about it and called up my old lifting partner from college, and he relayed similar concerns. As far as I can tell though, this is very similar to what I was doing in college, but with a little more thought and a lot better diet, so hopefully the outcome will be positive. Either way I'll be able to objectively look at it all and make changes next sunday. We shall see.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:14 AM

I used to do a split alot like this for along time. I got pretty big and strong on it.

I have recently been doing the 5X5 thing and I dont think I am stronger/look any better.

I like only being in the gym 3 days a week which is nice.

You should do pullups though on back day.

It wont take you that long to do this routine either. Def not 2 hours. I dont know if you plan on sticking to 2 minutes rest instead of just when you feel ready again. But i would think this wouldnt take over an hour. And when you have been doing it for awhile like 40 minutes(plus cardio)
Old 08-22-2007, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Your exercise selection is terrible. The split isn't that hot for a general physique person unless they know they respond to it very well.

You got too much volume. You don't break apart your carido/weight lifting.

And you created it. Just copy someone else's. Or use a framework they provide.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like how you drop knowledge on everyone else's routine like your some sort of expert bodybuilder or personal trainer. Your not even in shape are overweight and you drink all the time. You read more about strength training then actually hitting the gym. Your like a wannabe that never will be. Please stop with your "expert" analysis, its really starting to get annoying. THX

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF are you talking about? I think BB routines like this are generally pretty terrible. He uses way too many sets and way too much failure training. His split works for a very small percentage of people.

As for the personal dig at me. That is completely meaningless. I could weight 300 lbs and the advice would be of the same quality. But out of curiosity, how did you come up with that I was "overweight"? I mean I'm working on it my best. As I type this I'm trying to shovel cashews into my not hungry stomach.

[/ QUOTE ]I think he's just lashing out regarding the fact that your posts, while often times useful, are very often arrogant and, at least in your responses to some of my inputs, always negative. Thanks for the advice, but there are much more friendly ways to word things on a forum that is supposed to be as supportive as this one tries.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:53 PM

Your routine is almost out of flex. There isn't really anything I like about it.

Okay I like the RDL and the squats.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:51 PM

I'm curious if you are being so hyper-critical because it won't work for anyone, or if its just something that wouldn't work for you? Outside of the vague reasons that you've given, is there anything you would change without changing the whole routine? More simply, please elaborate.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:11 PM

I want to reiterate that I hope you check in on Sunday and regularly after that.

Personally, running intervals twice a week in a 6 day one off program would grind me to a nub. I don't think I'd want to squat so close to intervals either unless I was squatting away from (in the week) the intervals. As far as the lifting program goes, it isn't the sort of thing that appeals to me as far as exercise selection, the amount of exercises, the rep ranges, and the lack of revisiting exercises at a different set-rep-- but that may be just a matter of taste.

The two things that you've said that I don't like so much are: 1) re-evaluate after a week (just because I think I benefit from planning well in advance), and 2) the rep ranges don't aren't what I understand are best associated with strength.

But there's more than one way to do it, and whatever gets folks in the gym is a good start-- and I gather you "gym rats" like to play around with programs and adjust them and micro adjust them and that is part of what keeps it enjoyable. Like I said, I just want to hear how well it works-- particularly on some sort of before and after sort of metrics.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:35 PM

Shemp,

The squatting so close to interval runs thing is an issue. For the last 12 weeks my program has hit interval running hard, and every other week I'm doing 2 days of legs in 1 week. So for me, I've already adjusted, but my current leg days aren't nearly as intense as the one I have planned, so we'll see.

As far as the "revisiting" issue is concerned, I can't stress enough, I'm pretty experienced in the gym, and I know my body well enough that I feel I can effectively make those changes. I've never done this split, and I doubt I've ever brought this level of intensity into the gym, so I may just plain and simply not be able to hang with it. Instead of getting down on myself and giving up completely, I'll be allowing myself flexibility up to and including complete abandonment. From my research and experience, this routine is a great jumping point, and the hurdles in my mind are these, in order:

1 - Motivation.
2 - Energy level (I'm a Navy Pilot and my hours are extremely variable, and I'm currently entering a workup cycle for a week on the carrier in 1 month, so I'll be coming off of 12 hour, 2 flight days a couple times).
3 - Nutrition.

As far as progress, I'll post how I feel every now and then, and summarize every week. The only metrics I will give are those relating to the workout, and my own weight. I'll entertain pictures w/interest and at least a moderate level of success. This is going to be suicide, but you can watch [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-22-2007, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

As far as progress, I'll post how I feel every now and then, and summarize every week. The only metrics I will give are those relating to the workout, and my own weight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Recapping your goals: 1. Don't be a p*ssy. 2 Get leaner 3. Get stronger.

Skipping to 2... Are you looking for a change in body composition, adding LBM at a level or reduced body fat? Pinch test? 3... You mean increasing the weight for the given exercises?

Are these metrics that you are interested in, and if so, are you comfortable sharing them? Body measurements? Do you have other measures of your progress in mind, and can you say what they are and whether or not you are willing to share your progress against them?

Others may be, but I'm not interested in pics unless you have a sister.