Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 10:24 AM

Default Re: 2/4 is destroying me (-700 bb stats post)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
definately defend your blinds more. as oink alluded to, it is immediately profitable for anyone to make a play at your blind with any 2 cards

raise more from late position. you want to play lots of hands in position against the blinds and weak limpers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you guys routinely raising low suited connectors or offsuit aces in late pos after one limper?

[/ QUOTE ]

depends on the limper of course. I wouldn't raise a low suited connector, but versus the right guy and the right players still to act stuff like 9Ts or K6s can be good for an isolation so long as you can punish them postflop.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:27 AM

if I raise OTB after on limper depends on the limper:
- is he a loose passiv showdown mokey
- is he a showdown nit

but just to give you a clue about todays low limit:
- I play more hands UTG than you did OTB.
- I see twice as many flops out of the small blind (and I loose way less many there over a decent sample size)
Old 08-21-2007, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You can not play so few hands in position as you do. You will leave some VERY profitable spots on the table. Say you have 97s OTB and two idiot is in the blinds, do you ever raise here?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very standard raise for me OTB, but I don't really do it that often in the CO.

I see regs 3-betting A9s when an UTG player opens, is this normal?

Recently I've also been calling down some of my A high hands when the 26/22 people 3-bet my preflop raises, but I'm seemingly never good. I also hate to do this OOP.

Poker has basically been very frustrating lately.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I see regs 3-betting A9s when an UTG player opens, is this normal?

[/ QUOTE ]
depends on the UTG player of course.

[ QUOTE ]
Recently I've also been calling down some of my A high hands when the 26/22 people 3-bet my preflop raises, but I'm seemingly never good. I also hate to do this OOP.

[/ QUOTE ]
tough spot to be in.
a flop peel is usually necessary in these spots. the turn is where you have a tough decision. now you probably don't have the right odds to peel to your pair outs, so you need to be ahead sometimes to make the call. it helps a lot if you know your opponents' river tendencies.
look at your immediate and effective odds and try doing some stove sims for different boards and villain hand ranges to see if you can profitably call the turn or turn and river.

edit: if they are using a HUD and see your nitty stats they aren't likely to be 3betting you very light. also consider your position when you're making up hand ranges for your villains. if they 3bet your EP raise their hand range is going to be stronger than if they had 3bet your CO or button raise

[ QUOTE ]
Poker has basically been very frustrating lately.

[/ QUOTE ]
agreed
Old 08-21-2007, 11:41 AM

Dhaimon,

Lots to say here but I'll start with a quick comparison to my own stats. I play exactly this level and I win. I don't win much some months but I win.

My VPIP is 29 and I think a little less would be better. I could tell you exactly how to achieve this if you want to know. Don't just start choosing random hands to play more than you did before. Heads-up hand value and reads are the ticket.

I fold my BB to steal 43%. That cuts my losses deeper than yours. I defend against a range always mindful of multi-way domination.

My aggression is 2. I rarely cap turns or rivers. Even flops. I'm learning to value bet but I think capping streets with routine is a losing proposition these days at 2/4. They lie less than you think.

I appreciate this post because it's my level and it's amazing to see that a few percentage points here or there can really change results. Most importantly, I think players in the thick of it need to know why they are playing and feel good about it. Do you?
Old 08-21-2007, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My aggression is 2. I rarely cap turns or rivers. Even flops. I'm learning to value bet but I think capping streets with routine is a losing proposition these days at 2/4. They lie less than you think.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is an interesting point. Please explain.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is an interesting point. Please explain.

[/ QUOTE ]

I simply don't run into many players who cap light post flop. There are lots of players who are tight like OP. There are others who play loose and aggressive PF but not post flop. 3 bets post-flop are usually telling the truth.

Capping the turn? Against who with what? Find me players who will put 4 big bets in on the turn without the nuts? Sure they're out there but not like the old days. Tight players like OP are smart. Loose aggressive prefloppers are often scared postflop. They've widened their range of starters so you're darn right they hit that odd straight or boat. Just chill and save those big bets for later.

I'm not much of an explainer. Seems capping post flop streets would be an obvious difference between an agg of 2 and an agg of 3?
Old 08-21-2007, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and I guess people already do this to you because loosing 0.21 and 0.12 in the blinds is rather bad.
if you fix your blind play leaks you might be able to go to loosing 0.15 in BB and 0.08 in SB (+3k net over 50k sample size)

my advise: learn different blind play

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen many a post berating bb/100 in the SB and BB but never a definative comment on what is considered good/average/bad (ok, I'm probably blind and I may have missed one). What is good/average/bad?
Old 08-21-2007, 12:59 PM

there are relatively few places where you would consider capping a street postflop, so that's not going to have much of an effect on your AF

most likely OP is folding way too much, and betting or raising in spots where he should be calling. there is a lot of value in inducing bluffs from the LAGs that are everywhere in these games
Old 08-21-2007, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there are relatively few places where you would consider capping a street postflop, so that's not going to have much of an effect on your AF

most likely OP is folding way too much, and betting or raising in spots where he should be calling. there is a lot of value in inducing bluffs from the LAGs that are everywhere in these games

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Mine was a small example of post-flop attitude/play. Yours is a better point. Many of these players make mistakes post-flop and betting weaker holdings is one of them. By firing into them we deny them the opportunity to blunder.