Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2007, 12:06 PM

Default Re: The Mike Vick case... am I a life nit?

Drew, nod.

I think it's a combo of the pro leagues' horrors of gambling, the relatively novel nature of the charges, and the way people consistently sympathize with animals over humans.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:07 PM

The dog fighting carries a max penalty of 1 year. The gambling aspect carries a max of 5 years. If he gets the racketeering charge added on I think that is another 15 years max. The law does not protect dogs moreso than humans, it is just that the media has picked up on the animal issue due to the high profile defendant.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A local radio meathead here actually said that what Vick was accused of was way worse than what Kobe was accused of.

WTF.

I think it's worse to rape one woman than to torture and kill all the dogs on earth.

Vick is a scumbag if he ran a dogfighting ring, but he's far less of a scumbag than someone like, say, Warren Moon, who beat the living [censored] out of his wife to the point that his child said 'my daddy is killing my mommy' to the 911 operator. Moon is in the Hall of Fame, Vick's career is over.

Something's not right here.

[/ QUOTE ]well put
Old 08-19-2007, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's worse to rape one woman than to torture and kill all the dogs on earth.

[/ QUOTE ]

absolutely disagree, 100%
Old 08-19-2007, 01:34 PM

Let's not forget about that scumbag Leonard Little. He drove a car while 2 times the legal limit of intoxication and killed a mother. He only did 90 days in jail. Why is this guy still allowed to play? If he can play, then Ron Mexico should be allowed to play.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:35 PM

People who intentionally hurt animals or enjoy watching animals hurt each other are sick, sick, sick and morally depraved. If Vick is guilty of accused acts, his mindset and behavior is a serious detriment to the human race. Lock him up.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:48 PM

Good thread. There are some very interesting and well thought out comments in this post. Some thoughts:

-Law enforcement has, in recent years leading up to the Vick case, taken a more aggressive stance against animal fighting. So not just dogs, but [censored] fighting as well (still legal in some states). So it behooved them to really play up the Vick case in the media as animal fighting in general is more on their radar screen than it was say 5 years ago. Part of the reason for this is that a lot of other illegal activity goes along with the fights, which themselves are hideous to begin with. Among these crimes include narcotics (possession and trafficking), drunk driving, money laundering, and others.

-Dog fighting is a real hillbilly, red neck activity. Not something you'd expect to see a black guy with a lot of bling on doing. So the media has subtly been interested in this seeming social dichotomy as well.

-The proof of whether or not this is overblown is really in the pudding. The public's outrage against this makes it, whether or not you agree with it, a major story. I personally agree with the people who think this is nothing compared to your average athlete wife-beating case (Jason Kidd, Robert Parish, Warren Moon, Michael Strahan, and on and on), and I love animals in general, but clearly America disagrees. Robert Parish pushed his pregnant girlfriend down a flight of stairs and severely injured her. How many of you know this, or care? Jim Brown threw a woman off a balcony. Jason Kidd beat the crap out of his wife Joumana and got a slap on the wrist.

Seems America cares more about dogs than female humans, otherwise Robert Parish and Jason Kidd would be 100 times more hated than Vick.

And don't even get me started on OJ. That Vick will go to prison and he didn't is beyond absurd.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jason Kidd beat the crap out of his wife Joumana and got a slap on the wrist.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair to Kidd, Joumana seemed like a huge bitch
Old 08-19-2007, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Jason Kidd beat the crap out of his wife Joumana and got a slap on the wrist.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair to Kidd, Joumana seemed like a huge bitch

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this totally justified it.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seems America cares more about dogs than female humans

[/ QUOTE ]
A dog will stop chewing his bone and run across the room to give you head the second you drop your pants. How many female humans do you know that do that?