Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2007, 02:27 PM

Default Re: WOW, PETA people really are crazy!

Nah, it's only ok to torture and kill those who torture and kill for pleasure, but not the ones that are doing it only because their victims torture and kill for pleasure. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-18-2007, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are people who torture and kill cats for the fun of it on holloween. If we lived in a lawless society, I think it would be more fun to find the people that do this and torture and kill them.

Would I be wrong to do that? Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would rather kill vigilantes. Would I be wrong to do that? Why?
Old 08-18-2007, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There are people who torture and kill cats for the fun of it on holloween. If we lived in a lawless society, I think it would be more fun to find the people that do this and torture and kill them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because then your moral position would be it's ok to torture and kill those who torture and kill. But if it's ok for you to do it then it's ok for the original people to do it as animals torture and kill other animals all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Insert "moral agents" somewhere in there and this problem is resolved. Still, if Lestat gets to kill people so do I.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would rather kill vigilantes. Would I be wrong to do that? Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not being a vigilante. Bringing about justice for cats is the furthest thing from my mind. I would just honestly get enjoyment from killing people with that type of mindset. I suppose if you'd honestly get enjoyment from killing a vigilante, I'd say go for it.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:51 PM

<font color="blue"> Insert "moral agents" somewhere in there and this problem is resolved. Still, if Lestat gets to kill people so do I. </font>

Yes, but I think you need a reason. Certainly, a better one than; "if someone else gets to do it, so do I."

Again, I enjoy inflicting pain on those who enjoy inflicting pain upon the helpless. I feel the same way about child molesters/killers.

I'm not saying my murderous inclinations are justified by some morality, but I can at least pin my pleasure and reason for killing on *something*. Can you?
Old 08-18-2007, 02:56 PM

I assume you're responding to vhawk.

btw- I never said it was ok. Only that I would enjoy doing it. Could be nothing more than my warped mind, which doesn't make it right. It's just the way I see and feel about this issue.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:37 PM

i'm pretty sure cats do sometimes torture and kill "for fun." so maybe the people are torturing the cats righteously.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:37 PM

"On the other hand, I sometimes like unkown animals more than unkown humans"

That is still too extreme. BUT if you take it one step further it isn't. I would much rather save the life of Alex the parrot than the typical career criminal. Even if he wasn't benefiting humans.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm pretty sure cats do sometimes torture and kill "for fun." so maybe the people are torturing the cats righteously.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. One of the cruelest things I ever saw in my life was a pack of hyenas ripping apart a family of baby boars from its mother. I wanted to torture those beasts to death.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is definitely something wrong with this reasonning and I'm surprised that no one pointed it out. It's basically that your moral stance makes no senes. You've stated that you don't think that as there is anything wrong with eating meat.(let's assume that you're eating meat yourself)
If you think about it, that means that you have nothing agaisnt killing an animal for your own enjoyment, since you could be a vegetarian.
So basically you want to kill and torture people who have killed and torture a cat just for they own pleasure.
According to your ethics though, there is nothing wrong with killing a cat for fun, so the only reprehensible thing they've done is torture a being that you would have not problem killing.
Of course you can argue that it is bad ennough that they deserved to be severly punished, but given your ethics the sentence seems harsh.
Furthermore, you have to ask yourself why you have no problem killing an animal but you don't wan't him to suffer.
Since you don't want it to suffer, one can assume that he reallys feel the pain abd that he is not just a living machine, that he has a conscience..
But in that cas shouldn't you be vegetaraian?