Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2007, 09:06 PM

Default Re: Parents - What Programs Have Been Banned At Your House?

i wasn't allowed to watch mtv until i was 13 or so...i was also not allowed to read anne rice books...

now that im older i still don't watch mtv, but have read most of anne rice's books...

i agree with the post about watchign less tv and not monitoring content as strongly...
Old 08-17-2007, 09:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not demanding squeaky clean entertainment for my kids...

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, yes. You are.

Back when The Simpsons was huge, I knew a lady who banned her pre-teens from watching it, because Bart Simpson was a bad kid. His disrespect for parents and teachers was the big sticking point.

All could think was, "Overreact much?" As if her kids didn't see other kids act more disrespectful every day in real life.

Maybe I'm the wrong guy to give advice here, as I often let my kids watch/listen to things that I'm sure 99% of "responsible parents" would never dream of exposing to their children. But I can't imagine anyone thinking that their kids need to be "protected" from The Disney Channel.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'm not. I have no problem with most shows, I think The Simpsons is brilliant satire and would have no problem with them watching it if they showed any interest. (My 6 year-old is interesting in the movie, but what's the point if he's never watched the show on TV.) My daughter wanted to see "United 93", which I had no problem with either, if she watched it with me. My kids think "Ferris Bueller" is one of the funniest movies ever made, and they're really a bit young for some of what's in that. I don't even mind if they watch the Disney shows at some else's house, I really can't stop that. It's that Disney shows, outside of Hannah Montana, are so insulting in so many ways, that the less they see them, the better.

Maybe it's a quality issue as well. I'd rather they watch "Grey's Anatomy", as inappropriate as it is for someone in their age group, than something as inane as most of the shows on Disney.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My daughter is only 4 months old, we we're a ways from this, but MTV and all its evil incarnations will not be allowed on the TV in my house. ever.

Not so much for the fact that it promotes sex and alcohol, etc. but more for the fact that it glorifies being a narcissitic self-absorbed tard devoid of any empathy.

[/ QUOTE ]

No 2+2 for her!
Old 08-17-2007, 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i wasn't allowed to watch mtv until i was 13 or so...i was also not allowed to read anne rice books...

[/ QUOTE ]

Heheh, yeah, depending on which Anne Rice books, I don't think there's ever been many parents on earth who wouldn't get behind that.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not demanding squeaky clean entertainment for my kids...

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, yes. You are.

Back when The Simpsons was huge, I knew a lady who banned her pre-teens from watching it, because Bart Simpson was a bad kid. His disrespect for parents and teachers was the big sticking point.

All could think was, "Overreact much?" As if her kids didn't see other kids act more disrespectful every day in real life.

Maybe I'm the wrong guy to give advice here, as I often let my kids watch/listen to things that I'm sure 99% of "responsible parents" would never dream of exposing to their children. But I can't imagine anyone thinking that their kids need to be "protected" from The Disney Channel.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'm not. I have no problem with most shows, I think The Simpsons is brilliant satire and would have no problem with them watching it if they showed any interest. (My 6 year-old is interesting in the movie, but what's the point if he's never watched the show on TV.) My daughter wanted to see "United 93", which I had no problem with either, if she watched it with me. My kids think "Ferris Bueller" is one of the funniest movies ever made, and they're really a bit young for some of what's in that. I don't even mind if they watch the Disney shows at some else's house, I really can't stop that. It's that Disney shows, outside of Hannah Montana, are so insulting in so many ways, that the less they see them, the better.

Maybe it's a quality issue as well. I'd rather they watch "Grey's Anatomy", as inappropriate as it is for someone in their age group, than something as inane as most of the shows on Disney.

[/ QUOTE ]

Disney's been one of the more reliable providers of questionable material almost from the start. I don't blame any parent for banning Disney. Some of their stuff is just fine, but they really dig some creepy things.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

We generally don't let her watch Winnie the Pooh either. Those characters are severely disfunctional. Eeyore suffers from huge depression, Pooh has an eating disoreder, Tigger is hyperactive, Rabbit is OCD. Just not the kinds of characters we wanted her exposed to.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand everyone thinks that their children are blessed with genius IQ's, but that majority of children would not be able to understand this.

For example, I watched G. I. Joe and Popeye when I was a kid. Those shows were never considered "violent" in my opinion. I didn't understand what all of that meant.

Yes, Poo was just plain-old entertaining to me.

In the mid-nineties, over-protective parents became the norm. For example, many television shows were taken off the tv or too much violence, or enuendo. These parents never realized that, yes, their kids are incredibly naive. They didn't understand that many of the jokes were nods to the adults, for their entertainment as well, when their children asked them to watch television with them.

These same parents then force their children to wear padding, helmets, and leashes, so much for their children being uber-intellectuals.

Have you ever watched a cartoon on the Toon channel and sat in awe of the vastly different meaning that these cartoons have to you, when compared to your child-hood. That some of the stories are actually complex and subtle? Take Alice in Wonderland, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. To the kids, all of the characters are fun, odd, and exiting. It takes reaching adult-hood to understand the maliciousness behind the characters.

It is no wonder why Tele-Tubbies and Barney came into existence. The parents wanted "safe" television shows and that's what they got. But for the mother sitting with her child through few hours of cartoons without going to stir crazy are long gone.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My daughter is only 4 months old, we we're a ways from this, but MTV and all its evil incarnations will not be allowed on the TV in my house. ever.

Not so much for the fact that it promotes sex and alcohol, etc. but more for the fact that it glorifies being a narcissitic self-absorbed tard devoid of any empathy.

and don't get me started on the additional negative effects I think it has on girls.

And technology will enable me to block it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen. I think MTV is a disgrace as well. It promotes everything that is wrong in society - being materalistic, fake, self-centered. I'm not one of these conservative freaks, but something about it really gets me aggravated.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Eeyore suffers from huge depression, Pooh has an eating disoreder, Tigger is hyperactive, Rabbit is OCD. Just not the kinds of characters we wanted her exposed to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha! Pooh has an eating disorder [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] He just loves honey is all. Let's not get crazy here. At least he's not bulimic with bad breath.

I always liked Eeyore and Tigger. I have an Eeyore stuffed animal.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:20 AM

Personally, I grew up on Nickelodeon, and pretty much got bored of TV after I was too old for Nick. I was rarely disobedient, and pretty much grew up the very opposite of my materialistic drama queen sisters.

My sisters watched Disney until they turned about 15 and then switched to MTV and Sex in the City. They're both a giant mess, and will never be able to earn enough $ to satisfy the appetite for expensive worthless crap that has been driven into their brains. I swear, some of the ridiculous rebellious lines that they gave to my parents were straight from those Disney shows.

Our baby is about 3 months away, and the mommy and I have given up cable ourselves in preparation. It'll be better for us, and for the baby just to not have it around.

Personally, I think the commercials between shows do more harm than the programming itself. DVDs FTW.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Amen. I think MTV is a disgrace as well. It promotes everything that is wrong in society - being materalistic, fake, self-centered. I'm not one of these conservative freaks, but something about it really gets me aggravated.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's interesting to read all these comments. Gives me a lot to think about! I've never been one to think that TV could influence a person's character really. (I certainly never thought that Disney was a horrible influence on little kids.)

I watched tons of TV growing up, mainly sitcoms and old shows on Nick. I almost never watch MTV but when I do I'm usually amused by it... I watch it like it's a trainwreck. I would think a lot of other girls are the same way. In other words, not idolizing those people, just laughing at them.