Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2007, 02:58 PM
 is offline

Default Re: 20: Heads up (single table, but it\'s a good heads up problem)

Well, if he's never taken this line, then I wasn't including 88/AQ in my range for Villain. If those are in his range, then I guess pushing is better.

You might be right that calling 1/3 of our stack with a plan to ever fold a flop is bad, but shoving seems kind bad here too. Tough spot.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:03 PM

I've had two showdowns with this opponent on the flop:

1. 5200 = V, 3300 = Me, he limps, I have A8o in BB, I check for some reasons. Flop comes out: A 10 4 rainbow, I check, he bets half pot, I a little less than the pot, he pushes, I snap call, he shows Q5.

2. He folds to all my open raises from button. He raises from button say 1/4 times, folds 1/4 times, limps the other two, and we have gone to show down when I'm BB and he's limped and he's shown utter crap.

3. Early in tourney he checked BB after SB limped, they got it all in on a 3 2 3 flop, he showed KK against 54o.

4. Another interesting hand - I had opened up my button raising range and RR 3X BB (we were both relatively deep) with 53o, he called. On J 2 3r flop, check, I potted, he called. Turn 2, and he pushed all in (2500 into 2500 at 100/200). I hated the spot, didn't know what to do, timed out and folded.

I think Kramer's advice, fwiw, is best. However, I'm almost thinking this is a fold only because wtf else can this hand be, even if considered in a vacuum, aside from JJ+. I see this type of raise maybe once every 10 tournaments and it almost always means one [censored] thing 10 handed, and 3 things (1-6) handed. Honestly, I'm getting sick of it and find myself folding to it more and more unless I have implied odds early on. If I see it habitually, it's a different story, but in this case, I saw it but once.

AK doesn't play like this, and if not, then it really doesn't matter if there is an A or K-less flop.

Barry
Old 08-17-2007, 03:11 PM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]
1. 5200 = V, 3300 = Me, he limps, I have A8o in BB, I check for some reasons. Flop comes out: A 10 4 rainbow, I check, he bets half pot, I a little less than the pot, he pushes, I snap call, he shows Q5.

[/ QUOTE ]

Without even reading the rest of the hands, I think this one makes our hand-in-question a much more viable PF shove.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:13 PM
 is offline

AK will occasionally limp/3-bet, but I agree that at the very least, they will usually 3-bet a larger amount and not string you along.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So it's ok to call (a 1/3 of our stack) and then fold 1/3 of the time when an A or K fall? I'm only asking because that seems bad at first glance.

[/ QUOTE ]

answer - read mathematics of poker chapter 7 please!
Old 08-17-2007, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So it's ok to call (a 1/3 of our stack) and then fold 1/3 of the time when an A or K fall? I'm only asking because that seems bad at first glance.

[/ QUOTE ]

answer - read mathematics of poker chapter 7 please!

[/ QUOTE ]

What incredible insight!
Old 08-17-2007, 07:50 PM

in a vaccum it doesnt look like it can be much else than jj+. But the minreraise are used with so much stupidity i wouldnt at all take it for granted. So when/if we have clues, lets use em.

for example if u dont play raised pots from his button very often, the chance of him limping jj+ goes up. if he has slowplayed earlier, the probability goes up etc. further if he seems stupid aggro (q5 hand?) the chance goes down again. in my own vaccum i would never fold 99 h-up with shallow stacks(altho this situation seems like it could be one of them, atleast sometimes)
Old 08-17-2007, 09:30 PM

he seems to like to play opposite. normally id be very leery here but w this guy id just shove and pray