Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2007, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Trapping with TTP & No overs

Live on a flop like that I c/r all day. There is oodles more value in c/ring a flop in a live game than waiting for the turn.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:12 PM

Cool. Thanks guys. I suppose it is situational. If you know a player will bet when you show any weakness it might be a good play, but only if you have a solid read.

I think Bob made a good point about continuation betting when you miss. If you do this often it creates the kind of deception that Chris Ferguson talks about, playing different hands the same. I tend to play the opposite way (which might be a bad thing, I don't know) when I miss the flop I tend to check. I think even the moderately aware players notice this and try to take shots at me. Some at this game would take shots at anyone after they had been checked to. In this light I also created the Ferguson deception by playing a different hand the same. This play might be typical of small stakes players, but I was really trying to play against my opponents tendencies to bet marginal hands when weakness was shown. I'm thinking I should mix this play up more.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I tend to play the opposite way (which might be a bad thing, I don't know) when I miss the flop I tend to check.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you bet, you have two ways to win... showing down the best hand, or not getting called. Checking can only win by showing down, and it gives other hands cheap chances to improve.

Betting costs bets, but wins pots.
Checking saves bets, but loses pots.

Which would you prefer?
Old 08-16-2007, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I tend to play the opposite way (which might be a bad thing, I don't know) when I miss the flop I tend to check.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you bet, you have two ways to win... showing down the best hand, or not getting called. Checking can only win by showing down, and it gives other hands cheap chances to improve.

Betting costs bets, but wins pots.
Checking saves bets, but loses pots.

Which would you prefer?

[/ QUOTE ]

These statements are true, for the most part. I don't always check AK on a 8 5 3 flop, in fact I usually bet out. The difference is I tend to check flops that look like T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] when I have no [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. In other words, I tend to check cordinated flops when I have a gutshot and overcards and there are many callers to the flop, which often there are in 3/6.

If the game is weak tight then I'd bet out with less than AK. When it is LP betting out seems like a mistake when you aren't drawing to much. I could be way off here. It just seems like spewing chips when you are going to get called down with a small or middle pair.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:36 PM

we're not here to win pots, we're here to win dollars
Old 08-16-2007, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
we're not here to win pots, we're here to win monies

[/ QUOTE ] FYP
Old 08-16-2007, 08:06 PM

A lot of the times it is as basic as betting and raising our strong hands in these low limit games isn't it? I think James may have uttered somehting along this line earlier this year.