Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 04:32 PM

Default Re: I have no social skills, am incredibly boring, and want to end it

lol at the OP ruling out his weight as the problem, as if only fat people are shy.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
do you have a gf? longest relationship?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually yes I do have a girlfriend surprisingly enough, and my longest relationship is 7 months. Problem with both of those, is that throughout each of those there was a lot of awkward silences, and just cuddling on the bed watching tv. I never had anything really of substance to say after how was your day.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol at the OP ruling out his weight as the problem, as if only fat people are shy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it seems that most people who ask the questions that I have, are boring/ shy because of their perception of their physical appearance. Just wanted to throw that out, in case the first 3 pages were, "you must be ugly/ lose weight"
Old 08-13-2007, 04:40 PM

Sounds like depression more than anything. Go see your doc and get him to recommend a psych.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:41 PM

View law school as a fresh start. Despite horror stories, there is plenty of socializing that goes on. Go to all the open bar/BBQ type things they have at the beginning of the year. Talk with a bunch of people and realize that many of them are probably looking for law school friends as well. If you don't have a gf, being so busy with law school, it can get real lonely.

Hell, target a few people that initially seem cool from talking and sit next to them during all the orientation events. Pick people from far away that might not have any established friends in the area, therefore looking for people to hang with.

This will lead to a group, which you can then attend law school get togethers with, branch out from there.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
read the news more to become more interesting? Get more hobbies

[/ QUOTE ]

yes

also, if you don't ever do anything because you don't want to talk to people then you'll never have anything to talk about! self weighting strategy.

ie you never leave the house so nothing ever happens to you so you never have any stories to tell so you feel awkward so you never leave the house!

also, you might be depressed, but the fact that you see this as a bad thing and not a good thing means its less likely. most depressed people are happy to sit at home and never see anyone or do anything.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:45 PM

It's hard to bring yourself out and want to talk to people until you feel really comfortable with yourself. Do you feel like a failure or someone who doesn't have a lot going on personality-wise or intellectually? If your passivity around people reflects a lack of involvement in your own life, maybe you could start to change that by doing more stuff and getting interested in more stuff. Then you'll have more to talk about and more people to talk about it with.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:49 PM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 08-13-2007, 04:50 PM

I've seen some of the replies that say you should force yourself to be more outgoing. There is probably no harm in trying this but I think your big problem is not accepting yourself. Some people are extroverts and some introverts and a lot fall in between.

There's nothing wrong with being an introvert except the hate your bringing on yourself. You need to stop that. You will find that over the years you will become as part of maturing and life experience more outgoing. I don't necessarily think you need to force it.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
read the news more to become more interesting? Get more hobbies

[/ QUOTE ]

yes

also, if you don't ever do anything because you don't want to talk to people then you'll never have anything to talk about! self weighting strategy.

ie you never leave the house so nothing ever happens to you so you never have any stories to tell so you feel awkward so you never leave the house!

also, you might be depressed, but the fact that you see this as a bad thing and not a good thing means its less likely. most depressed people are happy to sit at home and never see anyone or do anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, hobbies would be great, even if its just a cooking class or something (everyone likes to talk about delicious food) and most guys like to talk about poker. In the meantime, I suggest becoming an alcoholic. Just don't get a DUI.

Edit: Is your problem that you are a low talker? 'Cause there is voice therapy for that. I read about it on here, ELDGF i think.