Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2007, 11:46 PM

Default Re: My California Poker Tour

Golden West in Bakersfield is ok but nothing special.
When I was there the highest limit holdem they had was 3/6; had an interest list for 6/12 but it didn't go, on a weekend night. I ended up playing 4/8 Omaha hilo with a full kill which was a very good game, after I had to wait on the list for a long time.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Oh, I'm aware - I'd like to make the drive anyway and at least see some of California. Plus, I'm sure there are some good rooms in between.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's nothing to see in this drive unless you take the longer coastal route. I wouldn't make the trip just for poker/seeing CA: you'd be better off staying in the bay. You should be making the trip for friendship sake.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whadya mean there's nothing to see? He can see and smell one of the largest cow manure piles in the world right next to I-5.

If it were my trip, I would plan a scenic drive to the nearest big airport and take the 60 minute flight to Vegas.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Edmund, i will be in LA shortly as well, are those buyin limits for NL serious?? 40min/max on 1/2!
Am i right in assuming these games are just about getting it in preflop?

Maybe i should save my money for when i get to vegas.

[/ QUOTE ]

DJ,

Yeah, the buy-ins are accurate. These games play like a cross between low limit (indeed, they've replaced a lot of the small limit games you used to find in LA) and the early stage of a re-buy tournament. It's not uncommon to see 3-4 players sitting with 4+ buy-ins. Bring 3 buy-ins (just in case) and play TAG until you have a stack; you'll find it pretty profitable.

Edmond