Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 06:15 AM

Default Re: Kill Phil: Worth it for Advanced?

Phil Helmuth complaining. That does not seem possible
Old 08-13-2007, 09:55 PM

There is nothing earth shattering in it. I play a lot of Turbo MTTs and already knew much of the stuff in it.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:12 AM

I bought it, finished it in 1 day, then got my money back. I probably should have done some research on it, it would have been a good book if I was just starting to play poker, but at the time I got it I had already read Harrington 1 and 2 and had a couple years of experience. It would be a good book to give to your grandmother.

I thought Ace on the River was a good book though...
Old 08-16-2007, 12:48 AM

Some of its concepts apply well to rebuy tournaments (during the rebuy period) and the late stages of turbo tournaments. But otherwise, don't bother. It's a lot of fluff. I have it and it's a pretty short read (read it within a day).
Old 08-16-2007, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I bought it, finished it in 1 day, then got my money back. I probably should have done some research on it, it would have been a good book if I was just starting to play poker, but at the time I got it I had already read Harrington 1 and 2 and had a couple years of experience. It would be a good book to give to your grandmother.

[/ QUOTE ]

AotR is a fine book, but has very little strategy content whatsoever, especially in regards to NLHE MTT's. No sure why you bring it up here...
Old 08-18-2007, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

AotR is a fine book, but has very little strategy content whatsoever, especially in regards to NLHE MTT's. No sure why you bring it up here...

[/ QUOTE ]
Because Op mentioned getting it as his second book. I second Ace on the River is good. I also own Kill Phill and I think it's somewhat usable (rebuy period and recognizing oponents who play similar as mentioned)
Old 08-18-2007, 08:06 PM

I'm actually Barry Greenstein just advertising [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] JK, but as said, original poster mentioned it. Even though its not a strategy book, I find it way more useful than Kill Phil for anyone taking poker seriously.