Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2007, 12:39 AM

Default Re: Stud 8b - jamming aces up on 6th

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That's a fascinating raise because it looks like you have 999. I would 3-bet and fold to a cap which I would think is coming more often than you would expect.

-ChipsAhoya

[/ QUOTE ]
How does it look like 999? Is OP completing on 3rd with split 9s in stud 8?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's probably not that out of the ordinary in tournaments. These people are terrible. Thats why I'm wondering if this guy is just like "ZOMG two pair!! RZITUP!!!" without actually even wondering about my hand.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That's a fascinating raise because it looks like you have 999. I would 3-bet and fold to a cap which I would think is coming more often than you would expect.

-ChipsAhoya

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's probably not that out of the ordinary in tournaments. These people are terrible. Thats why I'm wondering if this guy is just like "ZOMG two pair!! RZITUP!!!" without actually even wondering about my hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo!
Old 08-10-2007, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-ChipsAhoya

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo!

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo indeed, which is what my line gets value from. I do like a call and a river c/r + fold U/I too though. You may lose 3 bets on the river if you both fill and he may not always bet two pair on the river, so I think my line is better in a tournament because you have less risk and people may be less likely to make weak value bets on the river.

-ChipsAhoya
Old 08-10-2007, 09:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-ChipsAhoya

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In the stud/8 tourneys I play on 'Stars, this is not out of the ordinary in the early going. Later on, however, most of the complete idiots are gone and it is much less likely to see split 9's complete on the left of the BI.

That's why what limit this is and stack size are important here.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:17 PM

This was in a HORSE tournament, so there are more clueless stud players overall and way more clueless players deeper in the event. At my table in the later rounds the eventual 14th place finisher brought it in, then called 2 bets cold with (A9)3 and a 2 flush in stud8.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:39 AM

Nothing about this hand should make this an easy 3 bet for you.

When a player raises in stud8 and then pairs their doorcard...I would be more inclined to give them trips IF the doorcard was over an 8, because, most of the hands that tend to get raised on 3rd street are the low draw hands (with doorcards Ace-8). So when someone raises with a 9-K, usually they have a split pair or a high pocket pair. Although, because 9's are still a bad pair, when someone raises with a 9 door, I'm more inclined to give them a higher pair in the hole. (unless, of course, they play poorly, then it's all a guess, but I'm speaking in general.)

So with that said, and let's assume that your HU opponent has a clue: he can see that you paired your doorcard yet he's still raising you. Well, we know that he's not raising with a low so that must mean a high hand.

If I were playing you, my read on you would most likely be Aces up or trip 9's. So, for me to raise you in that spot, I would need trips because any two pair hand with that board wouldn't be good enough to beat you. I doubt he called your initial raise with pocket 66,55 (although anything is possible)so I'm reading him for either rolled up jacks or trip kings.

I don't see any point in 3-betting him on 6th. I definitely don't understand or agree to a reraise and a fold to a cap. For the same amount of bets (calling his 1st raise and calling the river unimproved)you have the chance, at least, to not only show down your hand (which might be good), but, for the same price, you get to see a river with the chance to fill up. And, if he does have you beat, it will cost you extra bets, perhaps the maximum (and there's no reason for the spewage at this point), and, if he's actually trailing you but is feeling frisky, well let him dust off his chips that way by being the aggressor.

If he plays really bad, you will find a much better spot to exploit it.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:44 AM

Also try and put this guy on a hand. Think it through from beginning to end and give me a range of hands that he would play like this on 3rd through 5th.

It is fairly obvious that the villain in this hand doesn't know what is going on here...
Old 08-10-2007, 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Against tournament players I would actually call and check raise the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

absolutely nothing worse will call. not even kings up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding? HORSE, stud8, stud, razz MTTs are comparable to play money games.

[/ QUOTE ]

believe me, I know. but even complete clowns are not going to pay you off with worse when you CR the river with a paired doorcard. well, okay, there was some guy in there today that called the river unable to beat the board, but that's about it. they're bad, but in different ways.

if you're going to get value, 3 bet now (and yes, fold to a cap.) otherwise, just call down.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:20 AM

One other factor to consider about checkraising the river is that weak players hate to valuebet the last street. They check the most ridiculously strong hands. So if I do get a checkraise in, I'm more likely to be beaten. This is not to mention, like adanthar said, a worse hand needing to call me too.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:22 AM

even complete clowns are not going to pay you off with worse when you CR the river with a paired doorcard

Even in stud/8 with a 9 in the door? Just a rhetorical question.