Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 05:40 PM

Default Re: Adjusting preflop and postflop to the....

Generally speaking I agree with most of what you´re saying but I do still think a raise is far better than calling because:

1.Given the read we are more often ahead and can bet for value.The backside is that we more often than we want risk folding out SB on turn.On the other side there is no guarantee that he will bet turn again on a dry board if we just call.
2.It is a very big risk that SB have 5 outs to beat us and that the other player has 5 or 6 totally different outs if they´re behind.Combined they then have 11 outs. It must be good to pay one extra bet to get rid of half of the outs we have against us.
3. One of the reasons to call the flop bet was to induce SB to keep on betting with an inferior hand and the player behind us to incorrectly put more money with a possible 6 outer.
But there are few cards we want to see on turn with a marginal almost unimprovable hand. When SB bets turn we have to make a decision without having a clue of what the player behind us have. And the same thing goes for river.
I´m quite sure that we are going to make mistakes that are costly on turn and/or river. Raising defines our marginal hand much better. We can also get rid of our hand pretty easily if someone 3-bets when the other two is still in the hand.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it was unraised so i do think the correct play is c/f turn. also if we raised preflop and SB b/c, c/r Q639 and we had 77 i think calling that c/r is a disaster..

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes with our logic it seems impossible that the coldcaller has a worse hand than ours so my default is to check/fold turn.
But as I wrote in my post I have found that it is often a mistake to give our villain fellows that much credit. Because when I check/fold turns like these it turns out that the coldcaller saw the turn go check/check and thought that it was a good opportunity to steal the pot.
By betting the turn in a decent pot you avoid the possibility of folding the best hand IMO.

I´m not sure why you posted the checkraising part in an answer to me but I can assure you that I think that calling a checkraise from SB is totally out of the question.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:52 PM

Apanage,

someone said earlier that they would bet/call down a c/r. i just added it into my post.

also for someone to "steal" the pot he has to have something to "steal" with. plus you still have to hope the other guy doesn't have a queen. i think worse hands are going to check behind enough so that you shouldn't worry about folding the best hand too often.