Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 02:53 AM

Default Re: Are microstakes beatable?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
4PTBB

[/ QUOTE ]

People still use this term?! How disappointing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Term?!
Old 08-09-2007, 04:03 AM

It's hand like this that make me want to quit poker. I was having a very nice session going.

Yes I could have raised more pre-flop, or on the flop, but I think the outcome would have been the same.

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.05/$0.10 Blinds - 8 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $10.45
BB: $9.05
UTG: $2.40
UTG+1: $2.85
MP1: $9.60
MP2: $2.30
CO: $11.00
Hero (BTN): $14.80

Preflop: Hero is dealt K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (8 Players)
2 folds, MP1 calls $0.10, MP2 folds, <font color="red">CO raises to $0.30</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $1.00</font>, 2 folds, MP1 calls $0.90, CO calls $0.70

Flop: ($3.15) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 Players)
MP1 checks, <font color="red">CO bets $1.90</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $4.00</font>, MP1 folds, CO calls $2.10

Turn: ($11.15) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">CO bets all-in for $6.00</font>, Hero calls $6.00

River: ($23.15) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 All-In)

Pot Size: $23.15 ($2 Rake)

CO had 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (three of a kind, Fours) and WON (+$10.15)
Hero had K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (two pair, Kings and Fours) and LOST (-$11.00)
Old 08-09-2007, 04:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are microstakes beatable?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Not unless you run very hot. The game doesn't really get beatable until you move to 3/6 IMO, where people are playing much more rationally and not cramping your style with their mistakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the worst advice I've ever read. How the hell is your opponents making less mistakes going to help you win more? That's just nonsense.

I've been beating .02/.05 on Stars since January. Middle of last month I moved to .05/.10 and I've been beating that, too.

Poker, particularly NL, is all about adjusting to your opponent's mistakes. The beginners &amp; bad players playing uNL make mistakes. So do the bad players playing 400NL. It's just that the mistakes they make are different. So your adjustments have to be different.

And remember that pocket aces will get cracked 20% of the time, no matter if you're playing uNL or 400NL. Just because your aces get cracked and you lose a stack or your pocket queens run into pocket kings doesn't mean uNL isn't beatable.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's hand like this that make me want to quit poker. I was having a very nice session going.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep, hands like this do kinda suck but I do think that
a. people tend to forget the times that they dont get sucked out on and win a nice pot
b. you probably have leaks in smaller pots where your money slowly goes from your stack...its all too easy to say one bad beat costs you a winning session but you should look at other hands that you played too.

look at if from another angle, you should aim to get your chips in the middle when you have the best of it and let the cards fall as they may...overtime if you consistently do this then you should be able to win.

the best advice I can give is be humble, realise you have leaks, work to fix them and then things might start to turn around for ya.

goodluck
Old 08-09-2007, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are microstakes beatable?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Not unless you run very hot. The game doesn't really get beatable until you move to 3/6 IMO, where people are playing much more rationally and not cramping your style with their mistakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the worst advice I've ever read. How the hell is your opponents making less mistakes going to help you win more? That's just nonsense.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's exactly why I figured everyone would know I was kidding. I just found the question "are microstakes beatable?" amusing. Sorry I wasn't more clear.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:17 AM

Glad to hear it was sarcastic. I haven't been on here for a while and my detector is broken.

I'm all for sarcasm as a rhetorical device but consider that beginners aren't always going to know how to detect really bad advice.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:52 AM

I *think* I might be beating the very lowest limits on Poker Stars at the moment. But it's still early days... variance and all that. Check out my thread in the microstakes forum if you wish to read more.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:04 PM

At micro micros...

1. Don't bluff -- ever.
2. Play from a starting hand set.
3. Learn to fold top pair and two pair to multiway action when oop.
4. Don't worry about bad beats, they happen to EVERYONE.
5. Bad beats build character, if you played correctly and he sucked out, then he sucked out. Remember when you sucked out? Of course not, because you will remember how 'well' you played.
6. Keep a poker journal of your own hands and bankroll management.
7. Read Dave Scharf's book "Winning at Poker"...Prolly the one of the best starting hand set guides in all of poker. Very easy to read and understand. It made me a winner 2 years ago and I haven't looked back as I climbed the stakes and developed deeper concepts from more advanced books.
8. Keep it simple, bets/raises/checks often mean exactly what you think they mean, Fancy play syndrome (FPS) is unnecessary.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I consider myself a decent player at NLHE, I usually win at my home games that I play but when I play online at .05/.1 I feel like the beginner players act so irrationally that I find it very difficult to beat them. They chase everything and always seem to hit.

----------------------------------------------------------
I played 1/2 cent and $1 SNG on PokerStars. I lost two $50 bankrolls, while I was reading and learning. The third time, I ran my $50 up to $170, then added some tables, and finally moved up to 2/5 cents and $5 SNG. I'm keeping about even while I learn and adjust to the differences in play at this new level. Eventually I'll add more tables and/or move up again.

This process has taken many months, including play money on several sites before I used real money. But yes, micros are definitely beatable.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know how you feel, but these types of hands actually make me want to keep playing poker. You can't be results oriented.

No offense, but sometimes we feel we automatically deserve to win a big pot when we're dealt pocket aces or kings. Yes, we'll win a lot of times, but it's the times we don't that will keep the others around to play their 7s4s hands.

Hang in there.
T-Moto