Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 04:14 AM

Default Re: Guy flips up opponents cards (Conversation with Dealer)

[ QUOTE ]
You freaking nits! All of you.

Yes, I know the letter of the law is that Player D should hand the cards to the dealer, and let HIM turn them up. But in this case, what's the freaking difference?

Anyone who complains about this is someone who just looks for things to complain about. No harm, no damage, no threat, no possibility of trouble...but it's a chance to bitch about something, so we should all scream about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I kind of see it as a sign that the dealer doesn't really know how to control a game. The dealer just letting this go can bring into question game integrity.

No dealer should ever just let some idiot take cards that aren't his out of a muck and flip them over. I'd wonder what else this dealer just lets slide by.

b
Old 08-09-2007, 08:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's nitty to not want other players turning over cards. Just as I don't want other players grabbing my chips, grabbing chips in the pot, playing with the community cards, etc..., there has to be some boundaries. Yes, he was entitled to see that hand, but not in the manner that he saw it.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And then, If the dealer looks at you when you win a big pot & you don't tip...

Look at him and say, "Do you have a question?"

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's kind of interesting this thread is going on at the same time in Home poker

[/ QUOTE ]

That situation is completely different. In the Home Poker thread, action was not complete when the guy not in the hand flipped over someone else's cards... Here, action was complete and the dealer would have shown the cards if he was asked.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:33 AM

A very similar situation happened at my table a couple months ago.

A player getting pushed the pot quickly flashed his cards to the player next to him. Both me and the guy to my left (the one who lost the pot) saw this. (the dealer didnt) The winner tossed his cards in and as the dealer was going to muck them the losing player grabed and tabeled them.

The dealer just kinda looked at the player in shock, and immediatly called the floor. I quickly jumped in and stated the the winner had in fact flashed the cards to the other player, and the dealer was a little relieved.

However, even knowing this, the floor warned the losing player and stated that if he did it again he would get a 24hr ban.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Yes, I know the letter of the law is that Player D should hand the cards to the dealer, and let HIM turn them up. But in this case, what's the freaking difference?

Anyone who complains about this is someone who just looks for things to complain about. No harm, no damage, no threat, no possibility of trouble...but it's a chance to bitch about something, so we should all scream about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

What would have offended me most here was the dealer's comment. I don't think it's so nitty to say politely without making it into a contentious issue that players shouldn't handle other players' cards. But I would have been really pissed off at the dealer.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm the resident SOSA nit here (getting much better, thank you) and I don't think I've ever heard that the player is allowed to grab another player's cards to hand them to the dealer. AFAIK there's no good reason to touch another player's cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, this seems like a pretty good reason. Are you going to call it cheating? Well then, I call the flash of the cards to begin with cheating. It's certainly no worse than that.

Let's say those cards are headed toward the muck and the dealer isn't stopping it. If it gets there they're mixed in forever, and you have a right to see them. So you look at them. If you think it's nitty to want to look at the cards, it's equally nitty to say he can't look at the cards.

I'd give the dealer the benefit of the doubt. He might have just been acknowledging that the cards should indeed have been turned over (in case you were wondering why they were turned over.) He probably thought that rather than WHO should have turned them over.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What would have offended me most here was the dealer's comment. I don't think it's so nitty to say politely without making it into a contentious issue that players shouldn't handle other players' cards. But I would have been really pissed off at the dealer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the dealers question is what bothers me most about it.

b
Old 08-09-2007, 01:25 PM

Is it appropriate to tell the dealer, "If anyone besides the dealer touches my cards, they are pulling back a bloody stump"
Old 08-09-2007, 02:06 PM

I agree totally with youtalkfunny - this forum is out-of-control nitty