Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2007, 06:11 PM

Default Re: KK flops top set, death card on the turn

When OOP I almost always check this flop. If someone bets(often will happen on that board) then can trap with a check-raise (maybe crai).

If it checks around and a scare card like this hits then you check-call it down. Snapping off some bluffs and beating other pretty good holdings.

If it checks around (ontheflop) and a brick comes on the turn then you lead. Now they are not getting the great implied odds they are getting when you lead the flop. Plus, you are underrepping your hand and will get paid out by more things.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
anyone pushing the flop here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not bad. Better than leading for 1/2 to pot sized bet. I still prefer a check.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:18 PM

hmm I really like that approach alward... I guess against the small stack it's not hard to get all chips in anyway.. and even the other guy isnt insanely deep so if he catches a nice 2nd best I would still break him..
Old 08-08-2007, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When OOP I almost always check this flop. If someone bets(often will happen on that board) then can trap with a check-raise (maybe crai).

If it checks around and a scare card like this hits then you check-call it down. Snapping off some bluffs and beating other pretty good holdings.

If it checks around (ontheflop) and a brick comes on the turn then you lead. Now they are not getting the great implied odds they are getting when you lead the flop. Plus, you are underrepping your hand and will get paid out by more things.

[/ QUOTE ]

checking this flop is just awful...
Old 08-08-2007, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Very convincing retort
Old 08-08-2007, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Very convincing retort

[/ QUOTE ]

see, having to explain it would make me stupider...god damn it you did it already

its called board texture.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:06 PM

Good lord.

Checking this flop is terrible.

Matter of fact, I don't even like the flop bet at all. Make it pot-sized or even bigger (that's right folks, it's okay to overbet the pot sometimes). Two pair isn't folding and most other draws (diamonds and straights) are probably hanging around as well. So you might as well make them pay for it. He could also have a nice combo draw.

NLHTP pg. 47:

"If your opponent could hold one of several draws, bet a larger amount than you would if you knew which draw he had."

We have a great hand on the flop. A huge favorite over the villain's hand range. What's more is this flop likely hit villain fairly well too. So well that we should be thinking about stacking him. That means it is time for the big bets. At least a PSB on the flop please.

Turn call, well do the math. What is the probability that you fill up? Then factor in your implied odds (you are probably getting it all in on the river if you do fill up) of stacking him on the river.

If you are getting the right implied odds for a call, go ahead.

I think folding the river is fine.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:08 PM

Sherman,

Is it possible that the Ad scared him? Is there any value in leading the turn as well?
Old 08-08-2007, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sherman,

Is it possible that the Ad scared him? Is there any value in leading the turn as well?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. This board is scary enough, I don't think he bets the turn w/out something strong. He has to be too afraid of a big check/raise A/I on our part IMO.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:17 PM

The more I think about it I feel like an idiot.

From now on when I flop my top sets I will do whatever it takes to get half my stack in and find a fold without a showdown if things get scary.