Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2007, 11:38 AM

Default Re: New York Giants

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
To my understanding they reworked his contract for the next 5 seasons. It would not make sense to dump a QB that has nearly 50 TDs in his first full two seasons as a starter. Eli will have more help this year at WR, with Toomer and Moss coming back from injuries and with the addition of WR Steve Smith (2nd round pick) who has been very impressive in camp. The Giants have already made roster changes moving toward a younger team (they cut Arrlington, Emmons, Petitgout). Mathias Kiwanuka moving to LB will be one of the biggest question marks on defense. He has the speed/size for LB but will he be able to make the adjustment. The Giants still have a very solid DL even without Straham in the lineup.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eli has nearly as many INTs as he does touchdowns.

Care to make a prediction?

P.S. His birth name is Elisha.

[/ QUOTE ]

GET OUTTA OUR THREAD REDSKIN FANS

[/ QUOTE ]

touche
Old 08-08-2007, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been a Giants fan for 13 years and never have they committed to a project like this except by sheer accident.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't be serious.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've been a Giants fan for 13 years and never have they committed to a project like this except by sheer accident.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't be serious.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't? When are you thinking of - when Fassel got here or when Fassel left? Either way, they still continued to bring in high priced veterans. I suppose in 97 or 98 they were the youngest team in the NFL, but again, that was sheer accident IMO - those players on the final Reeves team were so bad and old.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:13 PM

6-10 and Coughlin finally gets the axe.

The Eagles will rise to the top of the NFC east....yet..again!!
Old 08-08-2007, 12:22 PM

The Giants got some time left before they can contend.

Coughlin is basically a lame duck HC this season. Unless the Giants win the Super Bowl, he isn't going to be resigned.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:02 PM

i don't think it's all doom and gloom.... there is still hope for eli, although i do think it is an important year for him to at least show some progress... he's taken this team to the playoffs for two years and there were stretches last year as well as the year before where you can see why he was the #1 overall pick...

i don't necessarily care what our record is this year.. we can make the playoffs again but if eli plays like he did last year again, then it's going to be a long 5 years...
Old 08-08-2007, 01:20 PM

10-6 easily jacobs will have a monster year, eli will continue to improve and can now be the leader.

They were fine last season until all the injuries came and demolished there oline and there defense. If they can stay healthy i easily see them making the playoffs. Jacobs ftw!
Old 08-08-2007, 01:51 PM

O-line: Big concern is obviously left tackle. I'm happy to have anybody besides big-bob in at that spot and no luke means 8-10 less false starts a season. In his 1 start, Diehl has played well so I'm not too concerned. To be honest, the past 2 years we've found ourselves with a torn and tattered o-line by week 17 and at that week, i would say it was the least of our worries.

RB: Ugh. I didn't like Tiki, I thought he was annoying, but we are REALLY going to miss him when a pass play breaks down. He was a great runner who could find the hole quickly but where he did the most damage, in my eyes, was on 2nd and 8 when Eli is about to get dropped and he turns around and catches that side armed fling from the less handsome of the mannings and turns a dead play into a nice gain.

If they spend the entire year running jacobs up the gut, we can look forward a 700yd back with 3.1 yds/carry. Look at clips of this guy. He's good when you come out 3-wide, stretch it and he's one on one with a nickel back he has 40 lbs. on. I've met him. He is HUGE. SCARY huge. He can break tackles, but he is too tall to get low and push a pile IMO. Quick slants can spread the d and keep 8 out of the box, and if that works, i don't mind jacobs here.

WR: Argh. Who shows up I don't know. Toomer is key because Eli trusts the guy. Plaxico flashes brilliance every now and then, but gets cranky if you double cover him and quits on you. Apparently Smith looks great and it's gonna be nice to finally see Moss play. The goal is to get Eli's completion percentage up over 60% and apparently they're gonna do that. I can't recall but there was a HUGE stretch of time where a giant wide out had not caught a TD pass. Tryee/Carter were fast, but they had hands like bricks. Eli has to be in spots where can look to his #2/#3 guy and get them the ball. I don't have much on this.

TE: Please be healthy. One thing i noticed about shockey in the playoff game last year was he had a better attitude. If he comes to lead, comes to win, I like Eli's #'s to improve and shockey to grab 70 balls and 6 TDs.

Eli: Sigh. I love this guy. He just doesn't have that fire. He needs confidence when he steps to the line. He's good in a 2 minute drill because he knows the plays so well. The rest of the time it just looks like he doesn't agree with ANYTHING anyone is saying and just executes to the best of his ability. That's not the way to run and offense by any means. If they guy can't make the throw, don't blame him, call a different play. There are what like 6-8 plays they call in a hurry up and he executes them? he'll put the ball where it needs to be if he knows where it has to go.

And I hate hearing "break out year". No, he doesn't need a breakout year. He needs to play good football. He may not be his brother by any means but he is one of the better QBs in football (there really aren't that many great ones). He needs to stop overthrowing guys and take charge a little more and he'll be everything we need him to be.

D-line: Losing Strahan is gonna suck, that's a given. Late in his career he started dropping back in zone more and with arrington at LOLB we had a pretty sick zone blitz type d for a while. He and osi are scary fast coming off the end and when your D-backs are slower than your D-ends you need guys to get to the QB before the WRs can get 5 steps on "should be benched because he's hurt" sam madison. That's why i like our new d-coordinator (son of eagles d-coordinator). He's gonna bring a blitz. There was no worse feeling in my stomach than seeing the giants come out 3 down linemen. Because after 4 seconds in the pocket, whoever was back there was gonna throw it right over the middle to a guy on a post and our safeties would converge 2 steps to late and give up a big play. BLITZ PLZ. Remember the 1st 8 weeks of the season? 6-2? We were winning because we were in your backfield, making plays.

Osi is still here and Tuck is ready to go. Cofield played great at DT last year and was a steal in the draft. There are a ton of other DTs on the roster right now so we've gotta find one guy big enough to keep linemen out of our LBs face.

LB - Mitchell was a great sign in the offseason. He quietly lead the Chiefs defense in tackle and should be able to do the only thing we need our LBs to need...make tackles! Pierce, when healthy, played great football and kiwanuka at 6'5" 265lbs. should be beating TEs a lot easier than he was beating OTs, which was still pretty good. He had 2 picks last year FROM THE DEFENSIVE END POSITION and IMO is a playmaker. But, they've got to stay healthy. Chase Blackburn has show flashes as well. I like what we did here.

Dbacks - THANK GOD we took Ross in the 1st round. I hate our Dbacks, i hate our defense, what else can i say. McQuarters, Webster, Madison - they just couldn't do it last year. Wilson/Demps, just not cutting it either in my eyes. But at the same point their job was rough. it's tough to cover guys for as long as they had to. Not one of these guys can cover TO. One of them needs to step up as a playmaker. I think it all starts with getting to the QB but that's just how i think football is played, and it's just an opinion.

Overall I don't think the giants are as bad as people think they're gonna be. But by no means am I as hopeful as I come off. When the QB press is all about how goot Jared "2 Tons of Touchdown" Lornenzen, you really gotta consider yourself [censored] if you're a giants fan.

My hopes for the year are to see production out of Jacobs, improvements from Eli, and Kiwanuku/Ross/Tuck/Osi or any young defender become a standout in the NFL at his position. I think these are the things the franchise needs to be a big competitor sometime down the road.

The NFC east being what it is - we're really worrying about Qbs on every team. Romo - which Romo will show up? With an offense like the one Dallas has does it matter (IMO yes). Is Jason Campbell 1/2 what he is cracked up to be? I don't believe it (you can't get that much better in an offseason, you can NOT) but if he is, well, we're [censored] (he torched us and is faster than 8/11 of our defenders). And of course - can McNabb stay healthy? They need him to with an aging defense. I hate the eagles with all my heart but McNabb is [censored] good.

Last year, the NFC East was supposed to be the toughest division in football. People were worrying about whether or not the Saints would win 4 games. We were supposed to see a Miami/Carolina superbowl. Part of me thinks the bad press for the g-men is borderline good luck.

Tom Coughlin - take control of your team. Have a [censored] game plan and execute it, but be on your toes. Don't get frantic when you get outcoached early. Just adjust and listen to your players. Being a strict coach works when you've got a solid D and a back that can pull 4.5/carry. But with the team we have now you have to improvise.

And in a closing note, I hope we don't go 10-6 or 6-10 but 12-4 or 4-12. 4-12 should be bad enough to get fired. And 12-4 should mean he got through to the team and should stay.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
10-6 easily jacobs will have a monster year, eli will continue to improve and can now be the leader.

They were fine last season until all the injuries came and demolished there oline and there defense. If they can stay healthy i easily see them making the playoffs. Jacobs ftw!

[/ QUOTE ]

Cortz,

What team did you watch last season?
Old 08-08-2007, 02:08 PM

Up until 8.5 games through the 1st half they were arguably the best team in the NFC. They were playing the bears, and winning. If they won that game they would have been the best team in teh NFC. We lost 3 D-linemen. #1 wideout, o-line, d-back, and a bunch of LBs. So he was watching the right team.

Of course, we're not the same team we were week 1 of last year by any means.