Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2007, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Brick and Mortar Etiquette Question

You're right, I am a tight player. But usually once he raises and he knows I re-raise HIM, I have either kings or aces. If he has kings than the odds of me having them are obviously less.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're right, I am a tight player. But usually once he raises and he knows I re-raise HIM, I have either kings or aces. If he has kings than the odds of me having them are obviously less.

[/ QUOTE ]

So he's laying down quite a bit every time you reraise him? After all, he's probably folding less than KK too. That's an open invitation to steal some pots.

b
Old 08-07-2007, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I truly don't know the answer to this, so I am hoping you guys can help me out. I play almost exlusively online, but was in Vegas over the weekend playing in the $2-5 NL game at Bellagio with a buddy of mine. Here is the situation:

Mac

[/ QUOTE ]

4 tell the dealer/floor you would apprecaite if people did not soft play each other even as friends, if the person with the "big hand" wants to bet 1 dollar to drive theother guy out so be it

But good luck stopping it softplaying happens a lot between locals and regulars just about everywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not going to happen. It's a 2/5 game, can't bet $1 [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. But yes, softplaying sucks and if they aren't going to play against each other, wtf are they doing sitting in a NL game together. Go play 2/4 somewhere.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So he's laying down quite a bit every time you reraise him? After all, he's probably folding less than KK too. That's an open invitation to steal some pots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Leave it to 2+2 to miss the point and start a coaching session.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But yes, softplaying sucks and if they aren't going to play against each other, wtf are they doing sitting in a NL game together. Go play 2/4 somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

You honestly can't figure it out?
Old 08-07-2007, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But yes, softplaying sucks and if they aren't going to play against each other, wtf are they doing sitting in a NL game together. Go play 2/4 somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

You honestly can't figure it out?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I know what's going on. Question was not needed honestly. I was giving my opinion that softplayin sucks for other players and shouldnt' be allowed.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:18 PM

Three things could've happened here that slowed down the action.

The first is that A-A in the BB checked in the big blind hoping to induce a bet from the button. When the button realized his queens may be beat (you say this guy is a loose player, he might've very well-reraised with a K-10) he realized his best option was to check.

The second is that flop IS pretty scary for someone holding a set. Not everyone is a hyper-aggressive idiot like many people on here think. If it's checked to me on that flop and I have Q-Q, I'm almost certainly checking behind. A lot of those $2/5 players think they're pros and the most fun to do is to 'trap' people.

The third is that each know how the other plays all too well. I rarely play Hold 'Em (and especially not NL) but my friend convinced me to sit at the 10/20 NL game with him last weekend and at one point I was dealt A-A. I'm about the tightest player there is, so my buddy raised, I re-raised, everyone else got out and he called. The flop came K-J-J and I checked. He checked behind me the whole way down with K-J suited. We were definitely trying to get each other's chips, but he said he thought I might've had K-K there and was trying to trap him. I 100% guarantee that everyone else at the table probably thought we checked it down on purpose, but quite honestly, I knew I was beat and he thought he might've been beat there, too.

It happens, I don't think this is bad etiquette at all.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:42 PM

Here should be the definitive answer on checking it down.

1) If they're going to collude, and they're good enough at it that it's going to hurt you, then stopping them from checking it down isn't going to stop them. Plus it's almost impossible to enforce anyway.

2) Given that they aren't colluding, it's better for you strategically, as in the long run it lets the crappier post flop players keep their money until you can take it.

3) It speeds the game up when you're not in the pot.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:09 PM

Interesting take Torello. One of my concerns was:

Am I at a big disadvantage with the fact that 9 other players at the table can bust me whereas there are only 8 for each of the buddies. Does that make them play more aggressively pre flop knowing they are less likely to get stacked? Maybe.

I guess it just never crossed my mind to do anything other than play hard against friends. If I end up with their money, so be it...and vice versa.

Mac
Old 08-09-2007, 07:43 PM

I can't imagine it would be a big disadvantage. I suppose it's theoretically possible it could be a small one. From my point of view, in the live games I play in, the players are already too aggressive pre-flop, so making them more so only helps me.

I do have players that will sometimes in some situations check it down. But if they want to raise and reraise A8o and J9s with the expectation of checking it down, that's fine with me. I'm already playing tight, and that's just more chance that there's a nice juicy pot waiting for me when I pick up a big pair.

Also I think if players have checking it down in their head, but end up playing against me and realize they cant do it, they are more likely to play weak after the flop, which again suits me just fine.