Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2007, 11:13 PM

Default Re: Question for NotReady

[ QUOTE ]
I dont feel any more or less significant as a theist than I did as an atheist.

[/ QUOTE ]
Have you taken atheism or theism to its logical conclusion? It's easy to pick and choose from religion and atheism like a fat person at a buffet, but how honest is that?

I'm not suggesting you go the way of Nietzsche and send yourself bonkers (the whole question of existence is a distant second to life anyway), but be aware that your experiences and desires and are not mirrored by the people who are off the fence. For example, NotReady does his tortured tapdance because belief in gOd gives him a moral and personal absolute he can't find on his own.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not suggesting you go the way of Nietzsche and send yourself bonkers

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair, N suffered from complications of dysentery, diphtheria, and (probably) syphilis most of his life. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] So you've got to at least prorate the burden of insanity.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

For example, NotReady does his tortured tapdance because belief in gOd gives him a moral and p ersonal absolute he can't find on his own.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you can find an absolute on your own? So that makes me arrogant and you humble? Who let you out of your box?
Old 08-07-2007, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

To be fair, N suffered from complications of dysentery, diphtheria, and (probably) syphilis most of his life. So you've got to at least prorate the burden of insanity.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, no, no. He read his own stuff. Then he thought about it. After that...
Old 08-07-2007, 11:46 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-07-2007, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

To be fair, N suffered from complications of dysentery, diphtheria, and (probably) syphilis most of his life. So you've got to at least prorate the burden of insanity.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, no, no. He read his own stuff. Then he thought about it. After that...

[/ QUOTE ]

If that's the case, then maybe Jesus is laughing his ass off somewhere flipping thru his biography.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I dont feel any more or less significant as a theist than I did as an atheist.

[/ QUOTE ]
Have you taken atheism or theism to its logical conclusion? It's easy to pick and choose from religion and atheism like a fat person at a buffet, but how honest is that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont see that the logical conclusion of atheism leads to meaninglessness. Nor do I think that the logical conclusion of theism leads to human-o-centricism.

I would like to hear how I am dishonest (that and discovering any contradictions in my position are why I post here). I dont know how I can pick and choose bits from atheism and religion - they seem fundamentally inconsistent to me. I do try and be both rational and religious, but I dont see this as intellectually dishonest, I think the two are compatible but it requires some work. (Whether because it's hard, or because it involves deep self-deception is an open question).

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not suggesting you go the way of Nietzsche and send yourself bonkers (the whole question of existence is a distant second to life anyway), but be aware that your experiences and desires and are not mirrored by the people who are off the fence. For example, NotReady does his tortured tapdance because belief in gOd gives him a moral and personal absolute he can't find on his own.

[/ QUOTE ]
My main difference with NotReady with regards to morality (I think) is that I dont think something is good because god wants it, I think it is the other way around. I dont think a theist has any more moral authority than an atheist, so dont feel I am lending any support to the people who try and use religion to justify bad things (I hope it's clear that I'm not including NotReady as one of those people)
Old 08-08-2007, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you are an exception, you're an atheist who happens to believe in god.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]
Surely there's more to say? What would that even mean? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-08-2007, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you are an exception, you're an atheist who happens to believe in god.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]
Surely there's more to say? What would that even mean? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
what reason do you think there are for believing in god, or is it just something you find yourself believing?

chez
Old 08-08-2007, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

My main difference with NotReady with regards to morality (I think) is that I dont think something is good because god wants it, I think it is the other way around.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate to nitpick but that's not my position. You've chosen one horn of the Euthyphro dilemma. My position is there is no dilemma. God is good in His nature. The absolute standard of what is good is God. He isn't arbitrary.

" He is light and in Him there is no darkness at all."

Come to think of it, that's not really a nitpick.