Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2007, 06:02 PM

Default Re: 25 NL set of 8s vs Donk

[ QUOTE ]
Lead flop , lead turn, bet more on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

really?
Old 08-06-2007, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Lead flop , lead turn, bet more on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

really?

[/ QUOTE ]

nvm, thought he flopped the set
Old 08-07-2007, 04:30 AM

I don't see the flop raise being all that bad. If the read and range was such that you thought the flop bet was a bluff then a c/r might well take it down. It's not like just calling with 88 is all that great. More overcards are likely to come.

You guys are don't want to bet the flop at all - what are you going to do? Just fold the flop?
Old 08-07-2007, 05:24 AM

you played the flop bad, the turn bad and the river bad.

No idea what your intention was with the small flop raise. He's never folding worse and your giving odds to draw.

Near pot the turn for sure.

As played pot the river. You need to work on getting the money in when you hit big hands.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:50 AM

"As played pot the river."

I think this is bad advice. Did you see the board? Potting the river is turning our hand into a bluff.

I never would have checked the turn so I don't know how I would have got to this spot, but I think 1/2 pot and folding to a raise is the way to go here.

I agree with the need for a larger flop raise, and a stiff bet on the turn.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"As played pot the river."

I think this is bad advice. Did you see the board? Potting the river is turning our hand into a bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im betting for value, villian will call with a tonne thats worse, this is $25NL! OK if he raises then you can re-evaluate, value betting rocks!
Old 08-07-2007, 06:01 AM

I'm not wild about flop c/r's with marginal made hands, and especially not vs. this villain. He may be donkish, but his range is presumably also quite hard to define. You're setting yourself up for some really awkward spots by bloating the pot here. C/c is better imo.

Intention to c/r turn seems strange given that you took the lead in the hand on the flop and, as others have pointed out, the drawiness of the board.

I'm not saying the lines you took on the flop and the turn should never be used, but they should probably be used only occasionally and this hardly seems like the moment for either.

River blocking bet is cool though imo.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Im betting for value, villian will call with a tonne thats worse, this is $25NL! OK if he raises then you can re-evaluate, value betting rocks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Even at 25NL I still think a pot size bet is going to scare off the likely holdings that villain will call with here. The way the hand has played out worse sets and two pairs to a lesser degree are very unlikely. Villains hand will consist of a few over pairs, one pair hands, and then hands that beat us. Pot is not a good size for a bet here. Half pot or even a little less seems much more appropriate in this case.

But yes value betting does Rock!
Old 08-07-2007, 07:02 AM

*Grunch*
Ugh, against a donk then don't like raising at all seeing as he will not fold a ten or nine, suppose he will calls with crappy draws but still prefer a call over a raise.
But oh my god bet that turn plz, checking is really bad there and your lack of betting on the turn results in a free river which is absolutely horrific so naturally now is the best time to bet when your much more likely to behind.

The bet size is problematic as it is asking to be raised so your inducing a shove but really don't want him to do that as it's very hard to call but then again I just don't like blocking bets in general I must say.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Im betting for value, villian will call with a tonne thats worse, this is $25NL!

[/ QUOTE ] ¨

Even if its NL25, it doesnt mean people are brain dead.
theres four-straight on board. You cant pot it for value without a straight.

You see alot 1/4 pot sized value bets with huge hands in micro limits, so I think that blocking bet is ok.