Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2007, 11:23 AM

Default Re: small stakes hold \'em....still accurate?

Of course it is still accurate! They tell you in the preflop chapter that you have to constantly adjust to your games conditons. If your game changes in the middle of a session, you even reevaluate then. Sure you don't want to use the 'loose' chart for your preflop play, but the tight is still applicable in my opinon.

I play primarily 2/4 and my postflop game is still very similar to the one they lay out. As others have said you aren't going to be protecting your hands against huge fields with large pots, but the book contains plenty of information on how to play when the pot is small.

And as the above stated, "How Good Is Your Limit Hold'em" is going to be my next read. I read somewhere that the sequel to it is coming out, so this should be another great book for a limit player.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:25 AM

i think if you see a flop percentage of 30% or higher online, i find that it's still a good game... i use a combination strategy of sshm and middle limit by ciaffone for these games...

live games are way easier... of course.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I got recommended Small Stakes Hold 'Em about a year ago and I've read it 3 times and have found it very useful and interesting. I was browsing poker sites to see where to play and I noticed that the small stakes games ( i.e $1/2, $2/4 and $3/6 ) seemed to only have about 30% players on the flop which seems much tighter than what SSHE suggests, so I just wanted to ask how accurate the book still is, as a lot of it is based on many players seeing the flop? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, where are you finding games that loose? No, SSHE is not very relevant for most online games nowadays. It is still relevant for live play though.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:43 PM

Since people are mentioning other books, ITH is probably the most applicable.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:42 PM

What book is ITH?
Old 08-06-2007, 09:24 PM

1. Table shop
2. Table shop
3. Table shop

Weird as it sounds, on Bodog, SSHE works better at 5/10 and 10/20 (when it runs) than 2/4 and 3/6. You just have to know your opponents.

Also, it seems that at certain times, cold calling an EP raise also in EP or EMP can serve to loosen the table. Invest the 2 bets once in a while (with sc or pp) and see if tends to bring in the field. Once the table has loosened, go back to SSHE. If it doesnt, knock it off. I do this live, rarely on-line.

Just a minute ago I had a 5 way capped pot (hero UTG with KK). UTG+1 cold called with K10d, LP with 33, one of the blinds 3 bet. I capped. KJ3 rainbow. I hammered on all streets, the K10 raised to get cap on flop, 3 bet on turn.
$300 pot on 5/10. TABLE SELECTION. Two fish on this table that drive pots when you have the nuts.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What book is ITH?

[/ QUOTE ]

Internet Texas Holdem by Hilger.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:28 PM

Of those 30% who see the flop, perhaps 90% of them stay in to see the river???
Don't worry, I predict the upcoming minimum wage hike will increase the average number of flop participants by at least another 10%.