Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2007, 02:23 PM

Default Re: NL player moving to Omaha....

Greatly appreciated everyone and I have to agree with the guy earlier who said this would be a good sticky topic because I probably won't be the last to ask this question.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Greatly appreciated everyone and I have to agree with the guy earlier who said this would be a good sticky topic because I probably won't be the last to ask this question.

[/ QUOTE ]

You were certainly not the first.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) Be prepared for massive suckouts that just eat your soul. One outers are common

[/ QUOTE ]
If by "common", you mean 4% of the time from the flop or 2% of the time from the turn, then yes they are. Unless you're saying it's "rigged"? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
4) If you think that your opponent is the type that only calls down/bets with the nuts, then don't be afraid to bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]
You don't really need to bluff that much at low limits - other people put their chips in too loosely and tend not to bluff very much themselves, so you can make a packet by playing your hand for its value. If you are going to bluff, you should really pick your spots, think about your own image, have a good read on your opponents' tendencies and their likely holdings, think about what precisely you're representing and tell a credible story with your betting pattern. Having said that, c-bets can be very profitable...
Old 08-06-2007, 07:04 AM

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is to appreciate the importance of a redraw. If you think you and your opponent have hit the same straight, you can hit payday if you have a redraw going higher, or a flush draw, etc. Similarly there are occasions when you'll fold a flopped straight with no redraws.

I remember playing an $800 pot on Full Tilt $2/$4 where my opponent and I both had flopped a broadway straight; but he also had, by the turn, two flush draws! I was very lucky to hit a blank river. Try to be the one freerolling, not the one getting freerolled!

The time you really want to go to war is when you have hit or have big draws for two out of the three types of hand: flush, straight, and set/boat. I'll take my chances with a set and flush draw versus a flopped straight any time.