Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2007, 06:21 AM

Default Re: Made Flush - Limp Reraise - Can I fold?

For those who say this is an insta-call, you are guilty of first-level thinking, where you are looking solely at your cards and say, "ZOMG!!! I have a flush!!!!" While I wouldn't fold, I think that the OP is correct to take a step back and re-evaluate his hand based on the action in front of him, including the response to his raise.

I think that the correct answer is to raise so that UTG puts his last 50 chips in with what I think is a set of aces or kings and put SB all-in with what I guess is two pair or one pair with a high club...possibly a set that tried and failed to check-raise.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:13 AM

I think this situation illustrates why the preflop call is horrible. This is super-hard to fold, but I'm curious as to why he would call-push, unless he's got you labelled (perhaps accurately) as LAG. If he had trips or something don't you think he would be raising this with the flush draw there?
Old 08-05-2007, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this situation illustrates why the preflop call is horrible. This is super-hard to fold, but I'm curious as to why he would call-push, unless he's got you labelled (perhaps accurately) as LAG. If he had trips or something don't you think he would be raising this with the flush draw there?

[/ QUOTE ]

A hand with the ace of clubs is something that is a reasonable slowplay in this situation because even if the flush card comes on the turn, you still have outs. So I don't think that UTG has an auto-bet on the flop.

Too much is being made of the preflop call (which was bad). OP would still be in this problem if he had J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], which wouldn't be as bad of a call preflop, but which would be an almost identical scenario as a practical matter.

One thing that we have to ask ourselves is if the villain here would put hero on a likely flush. Has the hero normally bet his flush draws if checked to on the flop? Would hero bet or raise with two pair with a possible flush out there? OP absolute can consider folding here, given a sufficient read on UTG. I'm just not sure that OP has enough info for that read.

It's a difficult decision, but if you want to play poker with few difficult decisions, go short-stack some online NLHE cash games.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:23 PM

Pokr, with all this action, I don't see how anyone in this hand can't be pretty sure someone has a flush.

Also J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] would be better for two reasons:
1. You're not losing to every single other flush right now. (SB = 56,67,78 = great now.)
2. The J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] are more a part of the SB and UTG range than 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] so you'd remove some of their flush combinations (which are bad for you.)
3. (minor) You'd have a gutshot straight-flush draw.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:29 PM

Only reason I might call this is because you often see a frustrated AA, KK, AK here, particularly if he's a TAG raising UTG. However the SB here complicates things and I agree with Stumpy that having TJ as opposed to 53 makes a world of difference in this spot.