Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2007, 09:51 PM

Default Re: AKs limreraised

Yeah, just to add, I don't think I'm ever folding AK PF this early in a tourney. I don't think you can ever have that read unless you've played with the guy a lot or something which like never happens.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:11 PM

What do you think of the size of the reraise?
Old 08-04-2007, 10:13 PM

It's pretty standard and pretty consistant with AA/KK. The only thing worse is a minreraise.

I'm sure he has AA/KK a lot of the time here, but I'm just not folding because of the times he doesnt+the times we suck out.

I would fold here maybe with AQ if we were a lot deeper. I mean I don't think I've ever folded to a limp/rr with TT+ unless it's very late in the tourney and I have reads.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, just to add, I don't think I'm ever folding AK PF in a speed tourney

[/ QUOTE ]

Jam it all-in. AK's value is maximized when you can see all 5 cards. Go for it.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:58 PM

I actually folded. Villain's position and the bet size tell made me think he had a big pair. I didn't think he would go to the trouble of making the small reraise to look like a big pair if he didn't have one, because people at this level wouldn't notice.

I usually play higher stakes, but I fold AK preflop all the time with deep money. Sometimes it just isn't good based on the action. I find it strange to say never fold AK preflop.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:42 AM

Betgo, the push is +EV if villian calls with anything but AA or KK 100% of the time due to dead money. Even KK isn't that far behind.

Sometimes UTG folds to the push, sometimes BB calls. Paging Stumpy, but for the most part I think we're neutral EV against KK given those facts. So you're afraid of ONE hand.

Nevermind that this is early and villian could be doing this with a lot of hands as has been already been mentioned, as well as the turbo tourney nature of the situation.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I find it strange to say never fold AK preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Betgo,

I agree with you on this statement. The reason I almost always say never fold AK PF on here is because in most micro-stakes tournaments, it is a pretty awful play to fold AK PF w/no ITM or Sat. considerations.

In major tournaments with deeper stacks, folding AK PF is certainly reasonable and +EV. In most micro-tournaments, you are too often making mistakes by trying to find the "right" situations to fold AK PF. The hand ranges you are facing almost always include AQ.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Betgo, the push is +EV if villian calls with anything but AA or KK 100% of the time due to dead money. Even KK isn't that far behind.

Sometimes UTG folds to the push, sometimes BB calls. Paging Stumpy, but for the most part I think we're neutral EV against KK given those facts. So you're afraid of ONE hand.

Nevermind that this is early and villian could be doing this with a lot of hands as has been already been mentioned, as well as the turbo tourney nature of the situation.

[/ QUOTE ]
AKs is worse than 2-1 against KK. I know I am OK except agoamt AA or KK, but I am pretty sure that is exactly what villain has.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:48 AM

Yeah,

There really isn't that much overlay. (360). A break-even shove would be 44% equity, which is 66+ or 99+,AK.

I think the normal limp re-raise range is wider than KK+, but not this wide.

I'd assume BB calls if you call though, so you'd get 3:1 to see a flop. If he's at least as wide as JJ+ I think you can work something.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah,

There really isn't that much overlay. (360). A break-even shove would be 44% equity, which is 66+ or 99+,AK.

I think the normal limp re-raise range is wider than KK+, but not this wide.

I'd assume BB calls if you call though, so you'd get 3:1 to see a flop. If he's at least as wide as JJ+ I think you can work something.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a $10 tournament. The normal limp/re-raise range from an unknown is surprisingly whide. Betgo normally plays $100+ tournaments, which is presumably why he folded. In a $10 tournament, the limp/re-raise range is quite wide and includes low pairs (sometimes including 22) and hands like A9s. Not always, but often enough to make shoving quite profitable.