Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2007, 11:20 PM

Default Re: HUGE tilt loss

[ QUOTE ]
Lucky,
thanks and yea i partly agree. i usually do play the limits that i have a big edge in. however i think that controlled shots at good games are good and feasible. problem for me was, the shot went bad, "omg i just lost $40k, i need to make this back ASAP" -> proceed to raise every hand -> "man im playin like maniac now, ppl bound to play back" -> call off stacks way too light -> lost half a house

[/ QUOTE ]

Learn your lesson. It would seem that you can't take a shot and then walk if it 'goes bad'. It was as if once the shot went bad you were not 'talking a shot' anymore, you were playing those stakes. And worse than that playing bad.

Chasing losses etc is degen behavior and I think you know this. If you can't walk after getting stung from taking a shot, and can not easily replace the money, don't take shots! You don't have the disposition for it.

If I take a shot and loose I get sick to my stomach, but then I walk.

Learn from this and it's all good. YOu can't undo it but you can learn from it. Give it time before you decide to quit poker, your not in the psychological state to make rational decisions right now.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

cymbalta? drugs are not the answer. they fix the symptoms, not the cause

[/ QUOTE ]

Not trying to convince you - however - sometimes the chemistry IS the cause. We're physical beings, "emotions" are chemical reactions, stress caused physical changes. Insulin doesn't cure diabetes, other things get out of whack in a body also.

Again, not saying anyone should, but it can be an option to explore. In the case of the imbalance being the problem, medication would be a cure.

But first I'd read a few books on poker psychology and see if that turns on any lights.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:51 PM

Play at a level you're bankrolled at.

If you lost a bunch and have a lower br, then either play at the lower level, or don't play.

br-management is part of the game. You know it.

Whatever you do, don't play underrolled. Don't play if you can't play at a level your br'ed for.