Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2006, 12:24 AM

Default Re: FAQ candidate

Nice hand Maurile [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 02-27-2006, 05:39 PM

Very nice. Some suggested additions:

When will Harrington on Holdem Volume 3 be Released?

It was scheduled for release in January 2006, but Mssrs. Harrington and Malmuth have decided on embarking on a new paradigm for poker book publishing: the book will be released when the forum has gone exactly seven days without anyone asking this question. Thanks for setting us back another week, jerk.

Does anybody know of any good books for No-limit Holdem cash games?

Yes.

I own Super System, Super System 2, The Theory of Poker, Holdem Poker for Advanced Players, Small Stakes Holdem, Getting Started in Holdem, Harrington on Holdem Volume 1, Harrington on Holdem Volume 2, Weighing the Odds in Holdem Poker, Tournament Poker for Advanced Players, The Psychology of Poker, Inside the Poker Mind, and Phil Gordon's Little Green Book. What book should I get next?

It is imperative that you purchase a book that belongs on the shelves of every poker player like yourself with such a burning desire to succeed: "How to Actually Read the Books You Already Friggin' Have," by Jack Handey.

It's hard to find, but essential.

How do I use the search function?

Unfortunately, the forums are plagued with questions that have been answered over and over again, and yet continue to be asked over and over again. This is one of them. There are innumerable lucid and easy-to-understand explanations of how to use the search function - to find one, please use the search function instead of wasting someone's valuable time.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:04 PM

Hi Everyone:

I don't think it is so bad that the same questions about books are asked over and over. There are several reasons for this.

1. Different people have different points of view. By telling someone to use the search function, the tendency here may be to discourage some differing opinions.

2. Opinions of books change. This is particularly true in areas of new subjects for the books. Specifically, everyone including myself, is fairly positive towards Gordon's Little Green Book. But I suspect at this time next year the degree of positiveness will decline as new and better titles show up.

3. Some authors, and this includes us, do make changes and updates to their books. The best example of this might be Winning Low Limit Hold 'em by Lee Jones. If new posters were told to do a search and the information they got only had to do with the first edition of this text they wouldn't be receiving accurate information.

4. Opinions of posters will also change over time as they begin to better understand the material at hand. An example of this would be the "Ten-Nine Problem" which comes out of the loose game section in HPFAP. At first many people felt that our advice here was wrong, but in time most came to see it the way we saw it.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 02-27-2006, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think a "How to Use This Site" form would be a nice a nice addition to 2+2 and a couple of your suggestions would be fitting for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since there is no (useful) site-wide FAQ, I disagree that items in Nick's FAQ are inappropriate. Under the circumstances, multiple forum-specific FAQs containing similar general information are helpful and perfectly appropriate.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:40 PM

How about a stickie labeled as "Read this before you post" instead of FAQ?

There the poster would be kindly adviced to look around a bit OR use the search function, because those most common questions, like about the best NL books, are usually discussed almost on the daily basis.

That shouldn't drive anyone away, but might correct the S/N-ratio a bit. Making the discussion on the topic more coherent.

Also, I usually don't start with FAQs myself. That title I suggested could catch the newcomer's eye more efficiently.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:25 PM

'Most common questions and post' would perhaps be a better title