Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 06:24 PM

Default Re: 1/2 Venetian 200 button ante, AA turn/river play

I'd say AJ/AQ/AA/KK are all probably equally likely (i.e. only determined by card combinations) since I'd expect you to play them all this way. Maybe discount AJ because you'd c/f it occasionally and AA because you might bet it again occasionally? I'd bet the river on any of those cards probably. On a J I might c/c.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:42 PM

Default RIVER

On the turn I checked and Villain fired 6700. I called. River was a four.

[ QUOTE ]
I'd bet the river on any of those cards probably.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's a good bet size on the river? Given Villain's description do I go for a weakish vbet (around 7-9k?) on the river or do I try to make a strong bet (15k+) hoping for a crying call by AJ/AQ? Or somewhere in between the two?

I just have a really tough time putting my opponent on any specific hand at this point so it's difficult to maximize value OOP.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:59 AM

Default Re: RIVER

I think he usually has one pair here. Make the biggest bet he'll call. Very opponent dependent, but I'd usually got with 2/3 pot or so.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:18 AM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 08-03-2007, 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

What's a good bet size on the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

About the size of a check.

TWP you answered his question without addressing this part of it. He bet flop, c/c turn and now is leading the river? You advocate that line? Looks horrible to me.

c/c or possibly c/f river

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this... Calling and leading the river never looks like a bluff on this board, so I don't think the villian pays you off thin. Also, if you were assuming the villian would pay you off thin, then leading the turn would have been the logical line in the first place. By betting the turn, the villain has made one attempt at representing a strong hand. With any mediocre hands(queen or jack), the villain would be either checking the turn or the river for showdown value and pot control. If he now bets the river when you check to him, he is representing a big hand and you must decide whether he has it or not. I think it is most logical to check all rivers here, including when your hand improves as an added defense against a bluff, especially in this case. If an ace comes, any hand that he would call a bet with he would also value bet the river with(assuming he is a good player) and you can c/r.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:01 PM

I'd bet the turn like 2/3 pot and probably a blank river too if the Q was a BDFD.
Old 08-04-2007, 05:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
TWP you answered his question without addressing this part of it. He bet flop, c/c turn and now is leading the river? You advocate that line? Looks horrible to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
agreed. i think making a "weakish" (half the pot?) turn bet and then check calling the river would be better. this would fit better with heros line throughout the hand and would induce river bluffs.

"check/call, bet" to me seems like a very strong line and could get you in nasty situations on the river.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:16 PM

who are you< who is villian < names kid names.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On the turn I checked and Villain fired 6700. I called. River was a four.
I just have a really tough time putting my opponent on any specific hand at this point so it's difficult to maximize value OOP.

[/ QUOTE ]

deepish oop vs a tough opponent i would consider tryin to play a med pot esp if you fear you are gonna be outplayed.

despite that, leading the river is a strange line and v doubtful he'll raise you here without the goods
Old 08-04-2007, 03:56 PM

I def hear what people are saying about check/calling the river. But I really think that you're losing a lot of value from hands with showdown value. I think he'll have a hand like AJ/QJ/KK/whatever that he'll call a bet with on the river more often than he'll have a hand a)with no showdown value AND b)that he continues bluffing with. Also I like a river bet better for balancing reasons, but I think that's a marginal justification.