Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2007, 09:37 PM

Default Re: guess i\'ll never get this game

Here are a couple of thoughts:

1. At lower limits, you will experience more bad beats. It's that simple. The reason is that these players are looser and will call with inferior hands hoping to get lucky. Bad beats happen at all stake levels in the same percentages. They just happen more frequently at the lower limits because there are more opportunities for them to happen.

2. Playing against players at the lower limits requires some adjustments. In general, straightforward play is better. That means less slowplaying and less bluffing and stealing. And it means never passing up a chance to value bet. As well, watch carefully for betting patterns. A lot of these guys are very predictable. It's difficult to range their hands because they play so many of them but their reactions to checks, bets and raises will give you valuable information to start narrowing down their range.

3. Bet a little more than usual. If you have strong hand preflop, forget about 3x or 4x raises. Double that. If you have flopped a decent hand, bet the pot or a little more. They will still chase their draws but you are making their mistakes more expensive.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:38 PM

Everything but the first half of point 3 from Pants isn't bad advice.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:08 PM

i actually kept track for a week on all ins i was 57% favorite on average to win when the money went in (either i was all in or my opponent. i won only 42% of those hands. it was a bad first 5 days. the last two days i was 55% but i won sixty something percent (i forget) and i placed in a few tourns. it all evens out in the end .but it was encouraging that i had an edge when All the money went in.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:35 AM

Not sure if you're already doing this or not, but here goes:

I think the single greatest frustration-remover for MTT's is multi-tabling.

The thing I hate about MTT's is getting close to the bubble, outplaying someone for stacks, and losing to a ridiculous river. If you're single-tabling, that's almost 3 hours of time, a lot of mental stress, and a buyin down the toilet. It wears on ya.

Try running two (at first) tourneys at the same time. If you can handle two, add a third. You'll feel less emotionally attached, and bat beats will sting a whole lot less.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a frustration post. How can anyone build a br or win consistently online. Because of br issues I am relegated to the low limit games. I am by no means a great player but dont consider myself a bad one either. Some of the frustration comes from what I consider moronic play. I cant believe the people who call off all their chips with top or mid pr and weak kicker only to get lucky on river or even those who call a reraise allin with a gutshot draw. Is thinking and frustration correct or are those plays good plays? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

First this post belongs in BBV...

Second since it's here I'll pile on...I'm running horrid. In the link below are hands from only one night, examples of what you're implying. One night I got frustrated and posted these. This has been going on for about a month.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...ue#Post11383258

These are all PRF things above. Some of what Dunkman says about short stacking is true and important in my beats.

What your post above implies is that you're getting sucked out on. That means you're likely not betting enough to chanrge draws a premium or slow playing yourself to death? Maybe I'm wrong but consider it.

The one thing I've learned form this is no matter how bad I cannot let up on aggression. I have tried tightening down and that hasn't worked yet. What I've thought about this morning is I just have to get better reads and beat up weak players more, when running this bad. Just gotta find a way.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:54 AM

most of the time when I play perfectly, which happens seldom enough, I will go on to lose that hand. so I realized I have to play a little more moronic... and it works like a charm!
Old 08-02-2007, 09:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I guess I'm the unlucky one then because 9 of 10 times I end up losing the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
selective memory

[/ QUOTE ]

It would do you a world of good to go through your database and really see what has happened ...
Old 08-02-2007, 09:07 AM

You should try cash games. If you lose a 70/30 flip in cash games, you just reload and play on. If you lose a big 70/30 flip in a MTT, you are gone and you have played 3+ hours for nothing. In MTTs you can double up 3 times and then lose just one flip to end it all.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:39 PM

If you get sucked out on a lot, that means you're playing well, especially in MTTs. The only way to get in the money is to be aggressive.

I've personally come to the conclusion that there's no such thing as a bad beat. They're just variances in the game. Any two cards can lose. Therefore, if you can't accept that you're going to suffer those "bad beats", you shouldn't really be playing poker.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:02 PM

I've explained it to someone like this: Most people look at BB&V completely incorrectly.

I look at it this way:

If I get my money in with AA as a 80/20 favorite every time, I'm going to lose 1/5. So for every 4 wins I have with AA (4 hits at 80%) I now receive a 20% chance to get sucked out on. So I say, "For every 4 times I get AA and win, I suck out against AA!" Since I'm going to run into a 20% > 80% in an upcoming hand, I might as well consider it mine.

Likewise, understand that in the long run, every time you get sucked out on = you suck out on someone else.

Yes there are some flaws with all that, but thinking with that mentality will help you overcome variance and understand how much money you have coming to you.