Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 04:39 PM

Default Re: Smoking weed

dave dude,

You're a life nit. Relax a bit more. It's probably bad for your lungs...oh well [censored] happens when you have a good time.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:40 PM

Harmless for you lungs maybe but there are many proven neurological effects, even if they are negligible. Memory loss is most often cited, and cited enough that I pretty much believe that its probably true. This might be a source you consider as having "an agenda" but I saw on the evening news where I live that a new study showed it greatly increases your risks of mental illness such as schizophrenia later in life. I'm not saying that this should stop you. In my opinion the effects of alcohol are probably worse.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't see how eating it would [censored] you up any long term, esp considering most of the time you aren't eating the plant matter anyway. However, eating gives you a IMO totally different high experience. It also takes a while to kick in.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well obviously there is SOME kind of reaction. Are you trying to say that eating pot brownies is 100% harmless? No memory loss, or anything like that? I find that hard to believe

[/ QUOTE ]

I just meant that the long-term effects regarding cannabis edibles are likely negligible compared to the effects regarding smoking or inhaling. A lot of the negatives that come with marijuana use regard doing damage to the lungs. Long term mental effects have been strongly contested and there has been a lot of debate over possible negative effects. However, there has been a multitude of studies showing that inhaling smoke does significant damage to the lungs.

edit: Just read up here: http://erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis.shtml

Also if you want to live a 100% safe life then it is going to be pretty [censored] boring. If you like getting high, get high. If you are worried about your health vape it and don't blaze 3x a day. Dont agonize like a pussy over something negligible. It is worth it to vape. Read: http://erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis.shtml and decide for yourself whether or not it is worth it to get high.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was talking to one of my friends who is very smart(probably the smartest person I know) and he told me that smoking marijuana is 100% ok for your lungs if you use a vaporizer. He also said consuming the weed(in brownies or anything else) is completely ok for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your friend is not that smart, which probably means you aren't either if you consider him smart.

[ QUOTE ]
I hope this isn't considered Googletarding, but there are so many biased websites out there, it's hard to get straight facts from someone without an agenda

[/ QUOTE ]

Translation - "I found a bunch of studies and articles that said is was bad for you but was still hoping that it wasn't, despite the preponderance of evidence."
Old 07-31-2007, 05:27 PM

A vaporizer is the best way to 'smoke' weed in terms of health, but using a vaporizer is a pita to use all the time. My friend has a Volcano, and while its great to use, I generally will just load up the glass bubbler and be done by the time it warms up, and produces a full bag. I had a Vapir vaporizer and I just sold that since I never used it...using a pipe is so much faster and easier to use.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was talking to one of my friends who is very smart(probably the smartest person I know) and he told me that smoking marijuana is 100% ok for your lungs if you use a vaporizer. He also said consuming the weed(in brownies or anything else) is completely ok for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your friend is not that smart, which probably means you aren't either if you consider him smart.

[ QUOTE ]
I hope this isn't considered Googletarding, but there are so many biased websites out there, it's hard to get straight facts from someone without an agenda

[/ QUOTE ]

Translation - "I found a bunch of studies and articles that said is was bad for you but was still hoping that it wasn't, despite the preponderance of evidence."

[/ QUOTE ]

Esad,

Stop talking out of your ass.

A quick search on wikipedia revealed the following gems:

[ QUOTE ]
Indeed, certain studies have shown that tobacco smoking is a better predictor of concurrent illicit drug use than smoking cannabis.[40] With this argument in mind, certain activist groups such as NORML contend that legalizing cannabis would substantially reduce the use of other drugs by taking the distribution of marijuana out of the hands of criminals, and regulating it in a similar manner to alcohol or tobacco.[41] Government agencies such as the DEA, however, claim that legalization would do far more harm than good, and would likely cause a rise in cannabis use.[42]

A study published in The Lancet 24 March 2007[43] finds that cannabis is both less harmful and less addictive than either alcohol or tobacco. Twenty drugs were assigned a risk from 0 to 3. Cannabis was ranked 17th out of 20 for harmfulness, while alcohol and tobacco were ranked 11th and 14th respectively. Cannabis was ranked 11th for dependence while alcohol was 6th and tobacco 3rd, behind heroin and cocaine.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Today, there is still a substantial amount of propaganda and misinformation from both cannabis advocates and opponents due to the legal issues of cannabis, including legal and political constraints on cannabis research.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Most cannabis research within the USA is funded by government agencies who in turn publish position papers citing research studies that spotlight the negative consequences of cannabis use.[9][10] In light of this, some people question whether these agencies make an honest effort to present an accurate, unbiased summary of the evidence, or whether they "cherry-pick" their data, and others caution that the raw data, and not the final conclusions, are what should be examined.[11]

However, contrasting studies have linked the smoking of cannabis to lung cancer and the growth of cancerous tumors.[12][13][14][15] A 2002 report by the British Lung Foundation estimated that three to four cannabis cigarettes a day were associated with the same amount of damage to the lungs as 20 or more tobacco cigarettes a day.[16]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Cannabis is known to act on the hippocampus (an area of the brain associated with memory and learning), and impair short term memory and attention for the duration of its effects and in some cases for the next day[18]. In the long term, some studies point to enhancement of particular types of memory.[19] Cannabis was found to be neuroprotective against excitotoxicity and is therefore beneficial for the prevention of progressive degenerative diseases like Alzheimer's disease.[20] A 1998 report commissioned in France by Health Secretary of State Bernard Kouchner and directed by Dr. Pierre-Bernard Roques determined that, "former results suggesting anatomic changes in the brain of chronic cannabis users, measured by tomography, were not confirmed by the accurate modern neuro-imaging techniques," (like MRI). "Moreover, morphological impairment of the hippocampus [which plays a part in memory and navigation] of rat after administration of very high doses of THC (Langfield et al., 1988) was not shown (Slikker et al., 1992)" (translated). He concluded that cannabis does not have any neurotoxicity as defined in the report, unlike alcohol and cocaine.[21][22][23]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-31-2007, 05:44 PM

You have to be susceptible to it, and also it has to with weed enhanced with amfetamins, but if you use this, you can suffer massive panic attacks, paranoia, irregular heartbeats and stuff like that. Happened to me about 12 years ago, and it was terrible.

Funny thing, the guy I smoked this weed with also had severe effects, comparable to me. I found out later (I work for a guy who has had medical education, he specialized in plastic surgery), that this weed must have been enhanced with amfetamin.

However, he pointed out to me that cases of paranoia, panic attacks and irregular heartbeats just sometimes happens to long term users, out of the blue. I have witnessed this myself with a couple of not so close friends of mine.

Good thing is, now I take two hits and am as high as a kite. Event though the negatives have disappeared throughout the years, my brain processes weed different after these experiences, the effect is much stronger.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:48 PM

Dave H,

basically I don't think there are any comprehensive long term studies done on the dangers of smoking weed (I could be wrong though). It's up to you to decide if the potential negatives are outweighed by the positives of smoking. Honestly if you ever listen to anti-smoking people and potheads, almost everything you hear is nonsense from one side or the other and no one is really well informed. You seem very mature so just trust yourself to make your own decisions on the matter.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
paging unbluffable.

[/ QUOTE ]

dear god no
Old 07-31-2007, 05:59 PM

Pretty sure it isn't worse for you than smoking cigarettes

If you're really worried about your lungs, do some cardio / pulmonary workouts or whatever. I feel fine after 1/2 hour in the gym even if I've been smoking all day.

As far as toys to make it smoother or less bad for you, I got this recently and very much enjoy it.