Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 11:12 PM

Default Re: Its crunch time. Telling the family I failed

I saw a piece on one of the new young TV pros (I forget his name). They were interviewing his mom and she said she was taken aback when her son told him that he is a poker pro, but she kind of saw the light after he told her how much he was making at poker. So, if you're making good monies be sure to tell them that as justification for your decision. They just want what's best for you after all.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:17 AM

Dude, finish school!!!!!!

It never hurts to have a degree and it will never be easier to finish that it is right now.

Not judging , hating or criticising, I promise you won't regret it and you dont have to quit poker in order finish
Old 08-01-2007, 11:09 AM

if u have 6 months just stick it out man. Going back to school after you have left is really tough to do.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude, finish school!!!!!!

It never hurts to have a degree and it will never be easier to finish that it is right now.

Not judging , hating or criticising, I promise you won't regret it and you dont have to quit poker in order finish

[/ QUOTE ] I think this is the best piece of advice right here I can relate too. I finished school and happened to get serious with poker after college. I work and make money so this poker income is a supplement to my income. I use to be so pissed when I lost money online, but now its working out for me. However, I'm still not in your shoes grinding everyday for cash. As a college graduate, 6 mos of school left is not that tough. Even NFL players who drafted into the NFL early from college eventually go back to college and complete it. You never know man. You can lose really badly and not have anything to fall back on but that degree, which you are losing out on. I would go back to school and grind out poker at the same time and if you choose to go pro after completing your degree so be it. However, you made your family happy and you achieved something very great in life. Hey you never have to go back again after undergrad.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I suppose I need to tell them my plans?

[/ QUOTE ]

I really wonder if you have enough honesty with yourself to succeed in poker if you have ask this question.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You dropped out with 6 months left?

I don't know. If you can't stand 6 months of grinding out school to its end how sure are you to grind out a living when times get tough on the felt?(reminds me of a scene in Officer and a Gentlemen where a guy DOR's in the final week of training. His g/f is asking him rhetorically, Who DOR's in the last week!?!)

I'd say if you're really having a problem with it you may not be ready to play poker for a living.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a very good point.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:28 PM

Wow thanks for the responces. The reason I dropped out is because I keep failing certain modules, if i went back now it would take me a over a year to complete a degree. I would also have to do it in a subject I hate, for some reason I always pick subjects that bore me just because I think i'm good at it. Poker is the first thing I have done where I feel im good and enjoy. If I fail at poker which I dont think I will, I will get a job and study part time doing a subject I love.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I did it, I told them!!!
Well kind of, I havn't fully explained the fact that I want to become a professional poker player. After I told them I failed they couldn't even bare to look at me, now they want me to get a job. Ahh well this is what I want to do and they will have to accept that. I suppose I need to tell them my plans?

[/ QUOTE ]

ONE: you didn't fail - you chose a different path.

TWO: You have a job. Show them your rate of pay, hours worked and so forth. Give them examples. Show 'em the money.

THREE: Not finishing is fine, ignore all criticism, but - just for yourself, please learn the difference between "bare" and "bear."

FOUR: Remember many have been where you are, Hellmuth most famously. Be patient with them, stop feeling guilty. You are resposible for your own life, so you get to make the choices.

Work hard, comport yourself honorably in your dealings, be the best poker player you can be.

GL
Old 08-02-2007, 06:47 AM

Roughly how much are you making per month playing poker?
And how long have you been making this amount?
Old 08-02-2007, 09:31 AM

Yes now I have chosen my path I will try and be the best I can. Last month was a really bad month for me on the poker scene and only the last weeks or so have I felt back to my best. I was playing very badly as explained in another post and the reason was all the self made stress I had going on. Before that I have built up a $150 bankroll to over $10,000. I always play within my bankroll limitations unless there is a juicy game going on. On average since january I have been earning $1600 which may not seem like a lot but you have to remember I have come up from $0.5/$0.10nl to $2/$4nl. Over 125k hands I am running at a PT/BB 8 despite my 3 weeks of bad play.

These figures also dont consider bonus's and rakeback.