Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 12:08 AM

Default Re: Stranded in Utah With No Money: A Trip Report

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
is there a reason you didnt check your oil, top off the radiator, and fill up a gallon jug with water on saturday night?

[/ QUOTE ]

Had a gallon jug in there for the past month or so, so I had that. Checked the oil before we left and today, it wasn't at the add line but I put some in and I checked the coolant before I left and earlier today.

I took my car in for a tune up earlier this week and they checked all the fluids and whatnot and I asked them to check the fans and belts and stuff. They cleaned my throttle body and glued up the broken fan casing corner and said everything else looked alright except my alignment, which I didn't have a chance to get fixed. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

alrighty then. time to pawn that bad boy off on someone else hehe....
Old 07-30-2007, 12:11 AM

When your car started getting hot in altoona is about when you should have called game off and decided to stop at meadows. I have no idea how you went all the way to utah before you put water in.

Best of luck making it to the interview.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:14 AM

LOL, I was almost stranded in Green River one time on a drive down to Vegas when my starter had a dead spot, luckily it started up fine after my buddy and I wasted 15 minutes at BK. Not too much going on around there.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When your car started getting hot in altoona is about when you should have called game off and decided to stop at meadows. I have no idea how you went all the way to utah before you put water in.

[/ QUOTE ]

How was I going to put water in? It was full each time I checked it and wasn't losing any until the final boil over. I put water in 2 times after that and it did not leak out, it stayed in until I started it and let it run for 2 minutes or so and then it would boil over, out of the resevoir bottle. Where else should I be adding more water?
Old 07-30-2007, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How was I going to put water in? It was full each time I checked it and wasn't losing any until the final boil over. I put water in 2 times after that and it did not leak out, it stayed in until I started it and let it run for 2 minutes or so and then it would boil over, out of the resevoir bottle. Where else should I be adding more water?

[/ QUOTE ]

wasn't aware of this, ignore other post
Old 07-30-2007, 12:40 AM

OP, whenever your vehicle starts heating up like that and doesn't need anymore coolant go to a self serve car wash. Spray your entire engine and all other parts that get hot with water. A whole bunch of steam will come off. Also, you can put ice in the reservoir w/ the coolant. I've had a lot of experience w/ high mile vehicles. Sometimes you have to get creative.

It sounds like you have a cracked engine head. Hope I'm wrong. Did your oil have any h20 in it? You should be praying that its just be a bad gasket or faulty water pump @ worst. Good Luck.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:42 AM

Sounds like a thermastat that is stuck closed. Cheap fix...
Old 07-30-2007, 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like a thermastat that is stuck closed. Cheap fix...

[/ QUOTE ]

Your prob right. And, this made me think of the time I had a bad thermostat, replaced it myself and ended up putting it in backwards. The car didn't last too long after that...
Old 07-30-2007, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
is there a reason you don't have a credit card for use in emergencies like this?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-30-2007, 12:54 AM

I have a credit card, but it has a small limit and the last of it was used to pay the tow truck driver. I should have gotten another one before I came out, but I didn't. I really shouldn't put myself into anymore debt though, university was waaaaay too much. I messed up big time in that department.

Isn't spraying a hot engine with water a bad idea as it can crack the metal and whatnot?