Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2007, 03:54 PM

Default Re: South America General Questions

I'm pretty sure most cities in South America would have a hard time competing with Buenos Aires as far as night life goes. Santiago was definitely a piece of [censored], overpriced city from my visit. There was some cool [censored], but as a whole the city could be skipped. I hear other parts of Chile are really awesome though, so I definitely will have to check it out later.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:01 PM

Ya, Santiago blows.. Valparaiso (spelling) about an hour's bus west of Santiago rocks though.. as does the south and far north (San Pedro anyone?)..

Buenos Aires probably has the best "night life" in South America, but i've never been to Rio or Sao Paulo... but... it's a totally different scene in Cuzco, where it's mostly travellers partying, while in BA, atleast what I found, was mostly Argentinean...
Old 08-01-2007, 09:04 PM

Cuzco was definitley crazy when we were there... but it was pretty "high time".. summer for us, so a lot fo people where there for 3 week - 6 week vacations... anyway, everynight was absolutley ridiculous... every bar/club around the zocalo gives out ridiculous amounts of free drinks just to get you in the door. Either way, when we were there, every place was packed every night... seething. A good 10 day bender that was.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:20 PM

cancuk - that does it! We're going back to Cuzco for a much longer stay next time!

We spent all 3 of our days there touring-touring-touring pretty much because that's what she wanted to do. But she knew the partying there was good.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:25 PM

I really find "sight seeing" to get very boring... especially when it's "ruins". I mean, Machu PIcchu blew me away, and that was the second time i've been there... but, still... inless you're a South American History Major, or an amatuer historian, I find that besides the more epic stuff: MP, the museam there, a couple of ruins, it all just gets a little much (especially after you see Machu PIcchu... I mean, how can anything else around Cuzco compare?)...

This is true for everywhere... I don't know how long it's going to take me to get excited to go see more Roman Pillars or Hindu Temples.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:08 PM

I pretty much agree regarding the sight-seeing stuff.
I can handle it because my GF likes to do it.
But I would usually rather explore the town on my own a lot of the time.

I was disappointed that we had so much tour-crap as part of our Cuzco schedule and pointed out that it was going to exhaust us. We ended up changing around our last day to only be a half-day of going into Pisac to the market instead of having another full day of going ALL OVER the area yet again.

I think she realizes that we kind of missed out by not getting to do as much partying.
But Machu Pichu was obviously the priority and that took a whole day. And we couldn't stay in Cuzco very long because we only had 2 weeks for our entire trip and we had to spend a good portion of it in Lima including both of the weekends so we could visit every single friend and relative who she hadn't seen in 13 yrs. This, of course, pretty much included the entire population of the city I think.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bolivia rocks. La Paz, Rruenabaque (spelling?), Ouruo, Potosi, and Sucre were all awesome. We went farther west in the jungle, over to Trinidad (we got there by boat up the river: crazy story)... but, it's more off the beated track and probably not for everybody. I never went to Sanata Cruz, but I never heard anything good about it and wouldn't recommend going there... mostly because it's way out in eastern bolivia, while most of the sweet stuff is in central/west. Lake titicaka is also awesome, and way better from the Bolivian side (isle del sol) than the Peruvian (Puno). Chile was a little expensive (in comparison to rest of SA) but it is beautiful. Argentina is a must... go to Mendoza but also to the Lake District: Bariloche, El Bolson. Great hiking and awesome food. Buenos Aires rocks, as most everybody said. I liked Urugauy... Montevideo I liked a lot.. go to the market there and eat a steak off the open grill.. I can't believe I cant' remember the name of this style of cooking (spanish for BBQ, I think)... start's with a "v".. anyway, it's one of the best steaks i've ever had... Punta del Este was pretty good, La Palonia up the coast towards Brazil we liked too...

Anyway, there's more if you're interested. Esepcially in Boliva, I stayed a long time there on two occasions.

[/ QUOTE ]

and people in santa cruz really look down on other places in bolivia. tehre is a lot of raism here agcainst the collasc, darker skinnecd people. i think santa cruz is probably a ncier place cto live whereas potossi might be a cool pclace to visit 12,000 feet high, cold, chilcdrens working ni mniecs but not a good place to live
Old 08-04-2007, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bolivia rocks. La Paz, Rruenabaque (spelling?), Ouruo, Potosi, and Sucre were all awesome. We went farther west in the jungle, over to Trinidad (we got there by boat up the river: crazy story)... but, it's more off the beated track and probably not for everybody. I never went to Sanata Cruz, but I never heard anything good about it and wouldn't recommend going there... mostly because it's way out in eastern bolivia, while most of the sweet stuff is in central/west. Lake titicaka is also awesome, and way better from the Bolivian side (isle del sol) than the Peruvian (Puno). Chile was a little expensive (in comparison to rest of SA) but it is beautiful. Argentina is a must... go to Mendoza but also to the Lake District: Bariloche, El Bolson. Great hiking and awesome food. Buenos Aires rocks, as most everybody said. I liked Urugauy... Montevideo I liked a lot.. go to the market there and eat a steak off the open grill.. I can't believe I cant' remember the name of this style of cooking (spanish for BBQ, I think)... start's with a "v".. anyway, it's one of the best steaks i've ever had... Punta del Este was pretty good, La Palonia up the coast towards Brazil we liked too...

Anyway, there's more if you're interested. Esepcially in Boliva, I stayed a long time there on two occasions.

[/ QUOTE ]

and people in santa cruz really look down on other places in bolivia. tehre is a lot of raism here agcainst the collasc, darker skinnecd people. i think santa cruz is probably a ncier place cto live whereas potossi might be a cool pclace to visit 12,000 feet high, cold, chilcdrens working ni mniecs but not a good place to live

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, I would never want to live in Potosi... and i'm pretty sure you said you've never been anywhere besides Santa Cruz... well, i've never been to Santa Cruz, but La Paz is pretty awesome. I really enjoyed myself there and could see spending some months in the city and around. Sucre was kind of cool too, but I would want to be compleatly fluent in Spanish to be there for an extended period of time.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:09 PM

in Re: Cuzco

IŽve been partying here (Extreme, Mythology, and Mama AfricaŽs are the main three gringo clubs) every weekend for 5 weeks, I would rate it as pretty good. I went out once on a Sunday and it was totally dead though, this could explain the discrepencies

IŽve got a few good pics of me dancing on the bar coked up and stuff, if I remember IŽll bump this thread with it
Old 08-05-2007, 11:39 PM

Can you get good coke almost anywhere in S.A? I'm going to costa rica in a month