Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2007, 11:48 PM

Default Re: Fewer line drives hit to first base than third?

It is better to hit it to third b/c it's further away to throw to first for an out. Thus more people try to hit it that way?
Old 07-26-2007, 12:35 AM

3B is more likely to be able to catch it probably because of the nature of his position. The 1B frequently has to be guarding the runner at 1st so will have less range and will get to fewer balls.

I would think that most of the switch-hitters and pure lefty hitters are guys who might be a bit less-power/more-speed.

The lefty-hitter is slightly closer to first and would be more likely to be the type to try to slap it the opposite way and try to use his speed to get a hit.
A slap guy like Ichiro for example.

Obviously there is some incentive there to hit it on the left-side of the diamond if you have any kind of speed at all.

Also, righty batters against lefty pitchers is often-times going to mean that the pitcher has less velocity and more breaking stuff. So more likely to be able to pull I would think.

Lefty batters vs. righty pitckers is usually going to be with a pitcher with more velocity. So the lefty batter will be less likely to be able to turn on it.

These are all just total guesses on this stuff.
But I too have noticed more liners to left/3rd then to right/1st.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It is better to hit it to third b/c it's further away to throw to first for an out. Thus more people try to hit it that way?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say it's more that most RH batters don't hit to the opposite field in general.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think that ideally, if talking about a ground ball or line drive, hitting it to the right side would be more advantageous and have a higher chance of getting through, as defense is generally not as good on the right. If it gets through a player on first could get to third easier, as it is further away from right field. I don't know the double play frequency of a 5-4-3/6-4-3 VS the 4-6-3 frequency off the top of my head, so I don't know if that changes things.

craig
Old 07-26-2007, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say it's more that most RH batters don't hit to the opposite field in general.

[/ QUOTE ]
LDO I was speaking in addition to.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have nothing other than my own flawed memory and perceptions for this claim. But it seems to me that there are significantly more line drives and well-hit balls hit in the direction of third base, as opposed to first base.

Am I simply wrong? If I'm right, why is this the case? Is this simply a matter of there being a lot more right-handed hitters in the league than left-handers? My impression is that there are well over twice as many line drives hit to the left side of the infield than the right, but are there really that many more right-handed hitters than left-handed hitters?

Does my perception have anything to do with the positioning of the infielders?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most hitters are right handed and aren't capable of hitting screaming line drives to first base by going the other way. They rely on pulling the ball for that extra zip on their hits.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3B is more likely to be able to catch it probably because of the nature of his position. The 1B frequently has to be guarding the runner at 1st so will have less range and will get to fewer balls.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was waiting for someone to mention this factor, which I think is pretty significant. Smash singles to right are less memorable than liners that are stabbed by the IF.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, righty batters against lefty pitchers is often-times going to mean that the pitcher has less velocity and more breaking stuff. So more likely to be able to pull I would think.

[/ QUOTE ]

And the converse is that most southpaws pitch from more of a sidearm angle than righties. And they usually try to work opposing LH batters away, making it harder to pull.