Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2007, 09:20 PM

Default Re: Where should I live in the SF Bay Peninsula?

not sure if it matters, but the barrio in rwc is home to some of the best mexican food that Eld and Sucker have never heard of.
RWC is in the middle of redoing their whole downtown area, so it's going from a bit rundown to more in line with millbrae/burlingame style. maybe more like san mateo's downtown, as there's a little more nightlife there.

san mateo's nice, but more family oriented. i'm off of 101, so, according to someone up above, i'm in the hood. not really. my neighborhood's solid middle class with a lot of contractors. the only real hood area in SM is north san mateo next to 101. even that's no PA bad or east menlo bad.

for nightlife your age, PA's the place to be and you can try to bag a smart hot chick with high EP. more family oriented (highschoolers or young families) in the northern cities.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:26 PM

No love for my EPA joke? How about Colma?
Old 07-25-2007, 09:30 PM

XXX,

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...age=0&vc=1
Old 07-25-2007, 10:17 PM

I'm moving to SF on Tuesday. I have no clue where I'll live. Also a 22 year old programmer dude. roommates ldo
Old 07-25-2007, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Millbre/ San Bruno. West San Bruno is very foggy year round, stay away. South Millbre bordering Burlingame is becoming a very nice neighbor hood. Also there is development going on on the east Millbre and Bruno side, thus I suspect the neighborhood will be nicer 5 years from now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I live in this area and it is nice, but Burlingame is really more suited for 18 year olds, high-school age. I'd say that's true for Burlingame. Millbrae is ~50% asian, which makes things socially weird.

My girlfriend lives in Palo Alto and its really nice, especially if you're within walking distance of University/downtown. Might be a little too far from the city? About half an hour. Menlo/Sunnyvale are nice too. I would check out those areas first probably. Burlingame is real nice too but downtown is more of an older feel because its so expensive, probably not good for age ~22.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
not sure if it matters, but the barrio in rwc is home to some of the best mexican food that Eld and Sucker have never heard of.
RWC is in the middle of redoing their whole downtown area, so it's going from a bit rundown to more in line with millbrae/burlingame style. maybe more like san mateo's downtown, as there's a little more nightlife there.

[/ QUOTE ]

The redevelopment is making downtown nicer, but it still has no nightlife. So far, the redevelopment is only the theater complex, adding movie theaters, and about half a dozen restaurants. No real bars or night clubs, it's more of a "family" type redevelopment. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's not what OP seems to want. OTOH, SF is only 30-40 minutes north.

RWC does have some good Mexican food, though.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would try to get something in Menlo Park--it's cheaper than a place like Palo Alto but still nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you move to Menlo Park we can be best friends! But don't be fooled into believing that all of Menlo Park is cheaper than P-Town. West MP, which boarders Atherton, is obviously very expensive.

I don't know what you can expect in terms of night life here though. I've lived here my entire life, and since going to UC Berkeley, have decided Menlo Park is boring as [censored]
Old 07-26-2007, 12:59 AM

Could you see yourself doing the bike / Caltrain thing? If there is any possibility you could do this, then you could probably live close to Giants stadium AND Caltrain in South Beach or Soma, which by the sounds of it you could probably afford. Incidentally,

[ QUOTE ]
I expect to make $70,000 to $100,000 per year after taxes

[/ QUOTE ]
what % of this is from poker? You know you can't skip class any more? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Also,
[ QUOTE ]
my friends have said that SF nightlife tends to be older people (like, late 20s plus)

[/ QUOTE ]
lol and wtf!

Seriously, the only place like SF in the Bay Area is...SF. Everywhere else is basically a suburb of some kind. Some suck a lot, some suck a little. Some are quite nice.

Finally
[ QUOTE ]
I do plan on going into SF a lot, as I have friends there

[/ QUOTE ]
Could you go and visit, see what the Caltrain journey to and from SF is like, and decide from there? You can actually do things on a train journey that you can't commuting by car (also "The commute will be about 20 minutes on good days, and half hour on most" - don't believe this please!)

Good luck!
Old 07-26-2007, 01:35 AM

I'm also a 22 year old programmer moving to san fran in a month. Keep the good information coming.

I want to live in the city though, but I'm not sure exactly where. Money isn't an issue, but has to be in or near where young people party.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:31 AM

goofy you should convince your employer to let you work from home, then live in the city. solves all your problems!