Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2007, 04:18 PM

Default Re: New poker build

"Also what are the advantages of having two RAID hard drives. Is this hard to set up? Is it worth it if I am goign to be writing and storing a lot of data (e.g. having my postgrl database on one?). Thanks for all the help"

This is not a good idea, Raid 0, or Aid as I like to call it is a hardly noticeable speed increase with a risk of perm data loss if hd fails. Get 2 nice sata drives, put your db on the second one, and back it up regularly. There is no need for any raid setup for a home PC.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:04 PM

Thanks a lot for all your guys help. Couple more things I need to figure out before I order. Do I need a network card? I can't find this on newegg for some reason is it part of the motherboard? Also anyone have any good recommendations for a good wireless mouse and keyboard?
Old 07-25-2007, 05:51 PM

1) There is integrated network support on your board so you don't need it.

2) Too personal.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Also what are the advantages of having two RAID hard drives. Is this hard to set up? Is it worth it if I am goign to be writing and storing a lot of data (e.g. having my postgrl database on one?). Thanks for all the help"

This is not a good idea, Raid 0, or Aid as I like to call it is a hardly noticeable speed increase with a risk of perm data loss if hd fails. Get 2 nice sata drives, put your db on the second one, and back it up regularly. There is no need for any raid setup for a home PC.

[/ QUOTE ]

?????
Old 07-25-2007, 10:14 PM

I recommend the logitech Mx revolution for mouse. Just find a cheap wireless keyboard.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:35 AM

I recommend the logitech cordless trackman wheel. takes a little getting used to, but your shoulder, elbow and wrist will thank you.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

?????

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't make a blanket statement like that. If you're a power/heavy user, your HDDs will be the system throughput bottleneck. If you're backing up your data regularly anyway, you might as well go for the speed. otoh, each drive you add to a raid array increases the likelihood of failure. google it to find out the basics.

and to answer your question, a dual core cpu together with regular sql defrags will make import times negligible.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:25 AM

So I think I've finally got it. Last thing I wanted to know was if I wanted to add a third monitor in the future would my system allow for this? I realize I would need to get another video card but would my motherboard work? Just want to make sure everything is compatible. What do you guys think? Thanks!

Build

-sizz
Old 07-26-2007, 09:32 AM

Also is there a reason I shouldn't get these monitors instead of these I know the first ones are open box but with a monitor does that really matter? I would just need to buy the cables right? And it seems like the 160 bux I would save would be worth it.

-sizz