Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2007, 12:41 PM

Default Re: Stack off with flopped flush?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Thumb rule: thumb rules are for people who want to keep playing with their eyes closed

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP. There are no thumb rules in poker. You could techincally fold a straight flush if your opponents range clearly only consists of a higher one. Just an extreme example to explain what i meant.

OP, you probably shouldn't fold your flopped flush. However, you gotta give board texture, positions and all that. And fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously think about this hand for a second.

You called a min-raise in the BB with 2h7h. When you called, what exactly were you hoping to flop?
A pair? Ok now how to proceed?

Two pair? Pretty unlikely, but great when you hit it.

A flush? Pretty unlikely, but great when you hit it.

So you played a hand that wasn't going to hit many flops, and when it does you aren't going to know what to do. Sometimes it hits its YAHTZEE flops though. Here you hit one. And now you are thinking about folding???

Do you see the problem with this line of thinking. "I am going to play a crappy hand OOP PF in hopes of hitting a flop...Oh now I hit one!...I fold."

Fold PF and don't fold on the flop.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:21 PM

Do you see the problem with this line of thinking. "I am going to play a crappy hand OOP PF in hopes of hitting a flop...Oh now I hit one!...I fold."

Thanks for being a smart ass. Real productive. The crux of my question is do I run into top 2, a set or top pair with a nut flush draw enough times for a shove here to be profitable?
Old 07-25-2007, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for being a smart ass. Real productive. The crux of my question is do I run into top 2, a set or top pair with a nut flush draw enough times for a shove here to be profitable?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was being anything but a smart ass. Just pointing out that if you are going to play a hand like 72s in hopes of hitting a big hand, you have to play that hand when it hits. Otherwise you are just spewing. Thus, I think my post was real productive, if you think about what I am actually telling you.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
He's not being a smart ass. If you're going to call with crap and then fold when you hit the exact flop you were hoping for, you're going to lose a lot of money. He's trying to help.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for being a smart ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol ... he isn't being a smart ass ... he said what you said.

You got a dream flop ... get it in there.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:51 PM

we aren't calling felting here cuz "ZOMG we called preflop just to hit a flop like this, how can we fold now?" Every situation is a new one.

We are felting cuz it's +EV, that is all.

Like, if you chase a straight draw all the way to the river without proper odds on a paired board, and then you hit it on the river and bet for value, but a passive opponent shoves over your bet for 5x pot, the argument "if we incorrectly chase it all the way here, we can't ever fold it when we actually hit" is clearly not a valdid one.

At every decision you should try to make the one with the highest EV, not the one that is the most conistent with your earlier plan in the hand. Especially if your earlier decision was a bad one.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:52 PM

I don't think that Sherman could have said it any better.

Idontlikeyou you should listen to what he said because it's the truth.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
we aren't calling felting here cuz "ZOMG we called preflop just to hit a flop like this, how can we fold now?" Every situation is a new one.

We are felting cuz it's +EV, that is all.

Like, if you chase a straight draw all the way to the river without proper odds on a paired board, and then you hit it on the river and bet for value, but a passive opponent shoves over your bet for 5x pot, the argument "if we incorrectly chase it all the way here, we can't ever fold it when we actually hit" is clearly not a valdid one.

At every decision you should try to make the one with the highest EV, not the one that is the most conistent with your earlier plan in the hand. Especially if your earlier decision was a bad one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. My point was that flops like these are exactly where the +EV of calling PF is supposed to come from. You can't fold now that you hit the hand where the +EV comes from. So if you decide that it is +EV to play this PF, you can't back out now that you hit your +EV spot on the flop. So in summation, Fold PF.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:37 PM

I dont think you can fold when you flop a flush, especially with no reads. The chance of flopping a flush is something like 1% (could be wrong on that?).. so someone flopping a higher flush than you is just a cooler.

I dont like the preflop call with the 72s anyway. You see how it got you in more trouble than it was worth (he's not going to flop a higher flush than you much, but your not going to flop one frequently either). If you have PokerTracker, you should see if your calling raises from OOP is really profitable in the long run.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Fold PF and don't fold on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed.