Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2007, 12:20 PM

Default Re: Do you remember your first post on 2+2?

Mine was a sweat thread for Shaniac in the 2005 wsop, I think.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure since it was several months after I registered (which btw, I just noticed was two years ago tomorrow), but I couldn't find anything earlier so I think this might have been my first... where I disagree with just about every good player in the thread

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...rue#Post4275922

(I now often check K high flops with QQ, but I DO think that a lot of good players do it too often)

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this post by CSC in the anthology? I think it should be. In MTTs it sure would be a lot nicer to just cite this post rather than have to explain to every person why their bet is "only for information". Then I have to explain that yes you will have to make some tougher decisions, but at least you earn value, etc.

Anyhow...move to anthology please, if is there. Ignore me.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:25 PM

Lol, this was posted in HSNL (and it was a proper post for HSNL in 2004)

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry that this post is a little bit on the long side. I try to explain my thought process throughout the hand which I think justifies my actions, although I am really not sure

This hand occurred two nights ago at the $1/$2 blind, $100 no limit game at Turning Stone.

I had about $1225 on the table and my opponent had $240. There was one other player at the table with $900 and no one else had over $200. The table had gone rock tight and I was attempting to loosen it up (mistake 1? or is this a good move for someone in my position.) Over the last two orbits I have been super aggressive, preflop raising (to $11) whenever the pot was unraised before it got to me (40% of the time) If called I would bet $10 on the flop and $40 on the turn to take the pot down, I never saw a river. I had won the past 4 hads (2 preflop, 1 on the flop, 1 on the turn.) Whenever I have shown down a hand in the past 45 mins it has been AK, AQ, or a pp.

Villain in this hand is an unimaginative tight player who I have been playing with for 8 hours. He is the opposite of a "cop" type player, only calling when he has the goods - he does not care if he gets bluffed out of a hand and will not try to make a play. He has the utmost respect for me at the table, which is to say he is scared shitless and is avoiding me at all costs (I am sitting next to him so we are talking and he frequently tells me he doesnt plan on entering any pots against me, which I read to be honest commentary)

I am UTG with (5c , 6c ) raise to $11.
all fold to the BB who makes it $30 more

My first instinct is to fold here, I have 6 high and he has a big pair, but I remember what I read recently in a two plus two post about why it is sometimes smart to call in a big no limit game (not that this is a 'big' game but its relatively big) when you know your opponant has aces (I actually think he would make this play with AA, KK, or QQ and nothing else.) I figure if I hit a 55x, 66x, 56x flop I will get him all in on the flop. If I hit a draw I will play the hand slowly and try to hit for all of his chips. Also if an A falls on the flop I will make a $60 bet which would cause him to fold KK or QQ (66% chance the $60 bet will win me $80 if an ace flops)

Flop comes: 4c , 8h , Kd

Villain checks (I now know that he doesn't have AA. He absolutely would have bet to protect his aces here. In my mind it is equally likely that he has flopped trip Ks or he has QQ and would be willing to fold to a big bet.)
I check

Turn 2c

What a glorious card! I now have my favorite hand a double belly buster straight flush draw.

Villain checks -- I don't think he would be checking KKK again here but that is just a hunch, I certaintly would not put it past him I just think with the second check that it might be 40% KK and 60% QQ. I think that he would drop QQ here to a big bet but would not drop it to the same sized bet on the river. I think he will call with KK here (a call I am inviting with my 13 outer -- 9 clubs minus the two that pair the board to a boat or quad Ks and the two that make a streight and a flush plus 8 streight outs = 13 outs) but I think it is also likely that he will push all in with KKK and a flush draw on the board.

Here are my options as I saw them at the time:
-Check and lose the pot if I don't hit, even if he has QQ.
-Bet enough to get him to fold his QQ (i set this amount at $75 with the $80 that is in the pot. I think that he probably puts me on AK because he always puts me on the hand that can beat him)

Of course if I bet here I can always get raised and therefore the bet would not be a profitable long run play for me unless I was willing to call the reraise all-in (he had $200 left, a raise would be $125 more.) The way I see it there is $83 in the pot and a 60% chance that he has queens (which there is a 99% chance he will fold.) If he has kings he will probably call giving me a chance to draw out on him or he will raise all in and I will be forced to call with a 29.5% of hitting a winner.

A quick calculation tells me that with a bet here:
60% of the time he will have QQ and I will win $83.
11.8% (40%*29.5) of the time he will have KKK and I will win $500 (during the hand I saw this number as $500 which would be the total size of the pot. Now I see this # as $290, all of his money plus the $40 from me already in the pot)
28.2% of the time I lose $210 more.

.6*83 + .118*290 + .282*(-210) = 49.8 + 34.2 -59.2 = ev+$24.8

I trust my read with the 60/40 he has QQ. And decide to make this bet here because I think it has a positive EV.

I bet $75
Villain raises $125 more, all in (oops, i guess he has that KKK)
I call $125

River 8c Flush! no, the board paired [censored]! Maybe my read was wrong, hes turning over his cards, [censored] KKK - boat I knew it! what a bad play... i think

What bothers me about this had is that I could have gotten away cheeply if I:
1.) Folded preflop for $2 (but I didnt do as I was raising to loosen up the table.)
2.) Folded preflop for the reraise of $30 (I called because I knew his hand and thouht I could outplay him after the flop. Plus I didnt want to get reraised preflop when I was betting $11 with nothing)
3.) Checked the turn for a cheep draw (but if he had QQ, which I put him on with the check-check he is the type of player who bets to eliminate draws I would still lose the pot)

I feel like my rationale at each point in the hand was sound but I hope you can point out the error in my ways.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Steve

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-24-2007, 12:27 PM

Mine was a response to a small stakes post where a guy turned the nut straight.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:30 PM

I obviously suck at searching. I can't find mine; but I'm sure it is something terrible posted in Poker Theory or Limit Micro Stakes.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:33 PM

My first post is horrible.

Stars 20/180. Short table 5 handed. Look at my last 2 hands and tell me what you would have done differently. Hadn't played many hands with villian and didn't have a read. I apologize if the format is bad but am a newbie and not a computer whiz. Not sure about convertors etc. so just cut and paste.

PokerStars Game #4335459145: Tournament #21549549, Hold'em No Limit - Level XI (600/1200) - 2006/03/18 - 22:27:14 (ET)
Table '21549549 8' Seat #5 is the button
Seat 2: RacMan (15620 in chips)
Seat 5: jam681 (8162 in chips)
Seat 6: Body Man D (38057 in chips)
Seat 8: SeymourSpade (37281 in chips)
Seat 9: lovetassel1 (24511 in chips)
RacMan: posts the ante 75
jam681: posts the ante 75
Body Man D: posts the ante 75
SeymourSpade: posts the ante 75
lovetassel1: posts the ante 75
Body Man D: posts small blind 600
SeymourSpade: posts big blind 1200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Body Man D [Ah Jc]
lovetassel1: folds
RacMan: raises 2400 to 3600
jam681: folds
Body Man D: raises 3600 to 7200
SeymourSpade: folds
RacMan: calls 3600
*** FLOP *** [6h 9h Ad]
Body Man D: checks
RacMan: bets 8345 and is all-in
Body Man D: calls 8345
*** TURN *** [6h 9h Ad] [2c]
*** RIVER *** [6h 9h Ad 2c] [9s]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Body Man D: shows [Ah Jc] (two pair, Aces and Nines)
RacMan: shows [Qd Ac] (two pair, Aces and Nines - Queen kicker)
RacMan collected 32665 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 32665 | Rake 0
Board [6h 9h Ad 2c 9s]
Seat 2: RacMan showed [Qd Ac] and won (32665) with two pair, Aces and Nines
Seat 5: jam681 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: Body Man D (small blind) showed [Ah Jc] and lost with two pair, Aces and Nines
Seat 8: SeymourSpade (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 9: lovetassel1 folded before Flop (didn't bet)

PokerStars Game #4335472381: Tournament #21549549, Hold'em No Limit - Level XI (600/1200) - 2006/03/18 - 22:28:15 (ET)
Table '21549549 8' Seat #6 is the button
Seat 2: RacMan (32665 in chips)
Seat 5: jam681 (8087 in chips)
Seat 6: Body Man D (22437 in chips)
Seat 8: SeymourSpade (36006 in chips)
Seat 9: lovetassel1 (24436 in chips)
RacMan: posts the ante 75
jam681: posts the ante 75
Body Man D: posts the ante 75
SeymourSpade: posts the ante 75
lovetassel1: posts the ante 75
SeymourSpade: posts small blind 600
lovetassel1: posts big blind 1200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Body Man D [7s 7c]
RacMan said, "thx"
RacMan: folds
jam681: folds
Body Man D: raises 3600 to 4800
SeymourSpade: folds
lovetassel1: raises 19561 to 24361 and is all-in
Body Man D: calls 17562 and is all-in
*** FLOP *** [2h 5h Ah]
*** TURN *** [2h 5h Ah] [6c]
*** RIVER *** [2h 5h Ah 6c] [Kh]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
lovetassel1: shows [6h 6s] (a flush, Ace high)
Body Man D: shows [7s 7c] (a pair of Sevens)
lovetassel1 collected 45699 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 45699 | Rake 0
Board [2h 5h Ah 6c Kh]
Seat 2: RacMan folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: jam681 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: Body Man D (button) showed [7s 7c] and lost with a pair of Sevens
Seat 8: SeymourSpade (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 9: lovetassel1 (big blind) showed [6h 6s] and won (45699) with a flush, Ace high

My first response was from clayton. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-24-2007, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I obviously suck at searching. I can't find mine; but I'm sure it is something terrible posted in Poker Theory or Limit Micro Stakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just search for your username with no keywords.

If it was before Dec. 05 it might be in the archives here:

http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/ubbthreads.php

If you're not an archives member create the same user name and then search for your posts again or just go to your home there and click on 'my posts'.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:44 PM

try this page to search the archives: http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/...php/ubb/search

Edit: I'm slow. That's what I get for tracking down Sherman's first post under a different name: HERE
Old 07-24-2007, 12:47 PM

ya...i think it was in sports and I got harassed by Roundmound while he was drunk/on meth
Old 07-24-2007, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just search for your username with no keywords.

If it was before Dec. 05 it might be in the archives here:

http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/ubbthreads.php

If you're not an archives member create the same user name and then search for your posts again or just go to your home there and click on 'my posts'.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Not taking archive registrations at this time." LOL. WTF? So I guess I can't get to my first one. I got all the way back to 171 though. It was boring so no link. :/

Note to self. If you want to use the search "older than" you have to scroll the search "newer than" to a blank. I always forget that.

Edit: Thanks Silent_A. What a great post that was. Note how I pat myself proudly on the back in the first sentence. "As someone who is smarter than you..." LOL.