Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2007, 06:18 PM

Default Re: Resume tips for finance jobs

[ QUOTE ]
Evan - maybe those are more "career guidance tips" but most people can get basic resume formatting and grammar on the net or from their career center. BTW, recruiters aren't stupid, if you put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig.

In case this wasn't completely obvious- spelling, grammar or date problems on your resume are instant death blows with no chance of recovery.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not saying they're not all good things to do.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To be very honest, if you are very dependent on your resume as part of your job search strategy, you are already screwed. I'd concentrate more on networking, resume shouldn't really matter. Of course the stuff on the resume matters, but let's just remember the big picture.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, this is such terrible advice. I don't know where to begin...
Old 07-24-2007, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Evan - maybe those are more "career guidance tips" but most people can get basic resume formatting and grammar on the net or from their career center. BTW, recruiters aren't stupid, if you put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig.

In case this wasn't completely obvious- spelling, grammar or date problems on your resume are instant death blows with no chance of recovery.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can vouch for that. I applied for internships last winter. I sent out the first 8 with 2006 instead of 2007 on them because it was Jamuary 10th at the time, and then I corrected it for the final 7. I got one interview from the first 8 and 4 for the last 7.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
To be very honest, if you are very dependent on your resume as part of your job search strategy, you are already screwed. I'd concentrate more on networking, resume shouldn't really matter. Of course the stuff on the resume matters, but let's just remember the big picture.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not that is bad advice, it's just that it's targeted at the wrong audience. People reading this thread are just coming out of school/in school. Networking is more applicable to people who have had years of experience.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good argument
Old 07-24-2007, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why?

seems to me it's great advice. "business is a contact sport."

but that isn't all. you need to have everything a firm wants, and that means a solid resume, great interviewing skills and a good personality fit.

but you also have to be able to GET your resume into that firm's hands. so it is all important.

like most things in life, i don't think black and white is the way to see it.

Barron
Old 07-25-2007, 12:49 AM

Most of the people reading this advice will be applying for positions that are posted online/at their school's career office/wherever.

For positions like this, it seems networking is much less important. Networking comes into play when you're older and looking for positions that might not be as publicly advertised.

At least that is what my dad told me about what happened when his company got bought up and layoffs ensued. Older/higher up people got sent to networking classes and events, lower downs got sent to resume and interviewing workshops and advised to look for a head hunter. So that might not be the case now or whatever, but it makes sense to me.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When I'm hiring new people, I am basically just interested in their ability to form coherent sentences and string together related ideas. That sounds pretty shallow, but keeping your resume concise and to the point is important. Outline what makes you a really good fit for the job - I don't care that you worked as a retail manager and it improved your sense of humility. I do care that you bring PHP/MySQL experience with you, or that you understand advanced probability theory in addition to your finance background.

After meeting other entrepreneurs and small business owners, it seems to me that they want people who are going to be both loyal and diversified in their talents. A deep background in finance is great, but a mediocre one with a lot of secondary skills that are applicable in today's high-tech jobs (CIS, MIS, CS, Probability) can go a lot further with the right firm.

Take this with a grain of salt, though - my company only has 13 total employees, including partners.

[/ QUOTE ]
Concise version: Don't be afraid to have multiple versions of your resume so that you can give each company something that is relevant to the job you're applying for.

Am I hired, Kyle?

[/ QUOTE ]

Right.

And I didn't know you were applying. :P
Old 07-25-2007, 11:20 AM

Warning: No resume tips below
Here is a link to over 100 Wharton students resumes:
http://tinyurl.com/w24zs
It takes a while to load so be patient. Everyone's format looks the same and they are mostly impressive but by no means astonishing. There are some crazy ones, though.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Warning: No resume tips below
Here is a link to over 100 Wharton students resumes:
http://tinyurl.com/w24zs
It takes a while to load so be patient. Everyone's format looks the same and they are mostly impressive but by no means astonishing. There are some crazy ones, though.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know why you'd make this a tinyurl. http://www.columbia.edu/cu/be/wharton.pdf