Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2007, 11:28 AM

Default Re: Million hand

well, I assume you don't want him to call - so you must disagree that push is better than fold. He can't re-raise less than AI w/o being pot committed. there's a lot of money in the pot, he's got some fold equity, he's got top pair (which may be up against a worse ace or actually lord knows what with all the information gathering that's gone on here). it's kind of a blind AI push but it puts villian to a difficult decision. folding is just giving up and maybe that's the right thing to do when you've screwed up a hand as badly as this one was. but there's a fair amount of money in the pot. and when you are behind you do suck out once in a while and he is going to fold some. I think it's probably close b/t folding and pushing.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:44 AM

So what's everyone's line pf?
Old 07-23-2007, 11:44 AM

I don't think sometimes open limping on the button with 20xBB is bad if you are planning on sometimes limpreraising.

I would personally open fold A5o, but I might steal raise if the blinds were very tight. With A5 sooted, I might open limp, or I might raise or fold.

I would fold to the preflop raise. It looks like villain wants you to call, and you have a hand where you have no idea where you are postflop.

The postflop play just illustrates what a bad situation you got into by limp/calling preflop.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:07 PM

I like to raise at least three time on the button to steal the blinds and fold to a 3 bet. Folding isn't bad either. definely don't call all the way down. Take control of the hand as played fold flop.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like to raise at least three time on the button to steal the blinds and fold to a 3 bet. Folding isn't bad either. definely don't call all the way down. Take control of the hand as played fold flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would probably not play it that way, but I don't see how the open limp is that bad. I just don't like calling the small raise. Seems like you got your answer and it is time to fold. If you had something like 75s, you could limp/call here, but I would fold ace/rag. If villain is automatically raising your limps, it is exploitable.

Postflop, what good does taking control of the hand do? You are way ahead or way behind. Calling down is fine. You could also call a cbet but fold to another bet.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:44 PM

Given that you got to the flop like this, postflop is perfect. There is no sense in pushing the flop, and you certainly can't fold at this point to all but the nittiest nits. However, your line preflop wasn't so hot.

The button open limp has a pretty narrow range of situations where it might be a good idea. The blinds are pretty aggressive put not psycho (if they're tight you should just raise to steal, if theyre psycho you can happily raise and call a push), your hand is decent but weak enough and their stacks are awkward enough that if they push you'll be in a really gross spot.

With 20x, you can raise and fold to a push pretty easily. If you have A5 and more like 12-15x, it's a viable option. So here I'd raise into tight blinds and fold otherwise, as your hand is pretty much crap for these stacks.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:59 PM

i wouldn't open limp the button with something that played that poorly postflop.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:06 PM

Its not just that A5o plays poorly post flop.... it does... but that is balanced by our position. I personally think A5o is bad enough that getting some fold equity by raise stealing the blinds is a better option preflop. If I limped it preflop, I would probably be folding to the raise preflop. If I got to the flop, I would probably fold to the bet. If I really felt BB was just playing, like they raised pre with trash, and since I limped and called and was enticing a bluff, I would pull the trigger on the flop and raise allin there.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:17 PM

What kind of hands are we beating?

Basically QKdd and air?
Old 07-23-2007, 02:32 PM

So how did BB play the hand here, he held KQo?