Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 02:56 AM

Default Re: The Current Islamic Reformation

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I listened to it, and I definitely enjoyed it. Much of what he said reminds me of things I've read from Karen Armstrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I'm glad at least one person got something out of my post [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img].

[ QUOTE ]

Aslan makes an excellent case for Islam being in a state of flux similar to the Christian Reformation and no matter what NR says, the comparison of Bin Laden and Muester, Luther, et al. is appropriate (if he bothered to keep listening for a couple more minutes Aslan would have explained what he meant).

I guess I'm one of those guys who hears "Islamic Reformation" and immediately thinks of a modern, liberal Islam rising from the ashes. Aslan makes it clear though that this isn't necessarily what will happen. We're still much too early in the process to see what will come out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I think his most salient point is that this isn't a war between the West and Islam, it's a war between Islam and Islam.

[ QUOTE ]

My real fear is the thought of a 21st century Islamic equivalent of the 30 Years War. That would be hideously brutal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm more afraid that the conflict will go on much longer than that. If third parties like the U.S. keep intervening to keep the status quo, it seems like there will constantly be tension and no resolution.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:35 AM

You can really see this reformation play out in Arabic media. Aljazeera has a lot of excellent shows exploring different forms of islam, and shows about women's issues. They have a very wide spectrum of opinion. It's truly excellent. I forgot the exact address, but they stream live over the internet in english or arabic.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You can really see this reformation play out in Arabic media. Aljazeera has a lot of excellent shows exploring different forms of islam, and shows about women's issues. They have a very wide spectrum of opinion. It's truly excellent. I forgot the exact address, but they stream live over the internet in english or arabic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it is just like all the web sites about christianity, pointing out the errors of the "other" sects. The only problem, is that from a third party viewpoint it is hard to find out who is right. Ah well, I guess the most libertarian interpretation of christianity or islam has to be the most correct one! Go reformers of all faiths! Do away with your intransigent positions (only my sect are truly saved), and, specially, stop pushing your views on others. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2007, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, I don't really want to debate the issue

[/ QUOTE ]

But you just did!! What kinda chicken**** is that, make an argument, then demand no one contradict you because you don't really want to debate.

[ QUOTE ]
I listened to about 15 minutes and couldn't go any further

[/ QUOTE ]

So you stop listening to anything you disagree with, and refuse to defend your claims in any detail. I see how you manage to keep evolution at bay.