Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2007, 02:07 PM

Default Re: When to stop?

I rarely stop ... just play play play ... and then play ... usually good idea, sometimes not .. holla !
Old 07-19-2007, 02:07 PM

well in poker you have to be somewhat results oriented since we are inevitably all trying to win $

but I am not worried about whether im winning or losing, i never play anywhere near underrolled.

what im searching for is at somepoint during a session where you've been playing well and winning, there has to be something responsible for those extra last 100 hands that always seem to cost you $, regardless of if your down 3 buyins but especially if your up 6-15. how do you identify the point where things are starting to flatten or turn down, and how do you quit?
Old 07-19-2007, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I rarely stop ... just play play play ... and then play ... usually good idea, sometimes not .. holla !

[/ QUOTE ]

lol this is me in a nutshell especially the sometimes not part
Old 07-19-2007, 02:15 PM

Just make a list of conditions to play under

1. Games are good (normally are at uNL)
2. You are good (not tired/drunk, etc)
3. Tilt factor (this depends on each person individually)

If the games are good, you are ok to play (meaning that you also want to and wont lose focus), and you arent on tilt.. playplayplay
Old 07-19-2007, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Oh, I almost forgot the most prevalent factor in stopping....when my wife says I've got to stop for the 3rd or 4th time. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh duh! How could I forget that one!?

[/ QUOTE ]

I only get once or twice, but then again I been married for a little less than a month.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:26 PM

stop if you feel like your stack at the table is too big to be comfortable for you. if you're scared of playing 250BB pots, yeah, you can probably step away.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
stop if you feel like your stack at the table is too big to be comfortable for you. if you're scared of playing 250BB pots, yeah, you can probably step away.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol? you should never be playing a limit where your scared to play any pot if you feel confident with your decision.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:31 PM

i usually stop playing whenever i start losing focus, or feel like doing somethign else, which is ususally after 45mins-1.5hour or so.

if i feel like im not thinking through situations properly i usually just quite straight away, even if its only been like 10mins.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Oh, I almost forgot the most prevalent factor in stopping....when my wife says I've got to stop for the 3rd or 4th time. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh duh! How could I forget that one!?

[/ QUOTE ]

I only get once or twice, but then again I been married for a little less than a month.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, wife calling you away from what you're doing could mean a lot better things when you've been married for a month compared to 10+ years with a couple kids....
Old 07-19-2007, 02:40 PM

SSDEX...

I kinda know what your feeling. I have felt that way before. I think its almost natural that you run into a hand and it just feels [censored] so you stop. If I have a session of 1k hands and am up 5buyins and I run AA into a set to end it and lose a buyin, I am probably stopping. Just since it just feels dirty. Not so much for losing the buyin, just because mentally I feel like the session is wrapping up anyways.

But each action is independent of the others. That same session ending hand would just start the next one. I believe that it all averages out in the end due to number of hands played.

Personally I just set hand/time goals, and after each period, I will reeval how I am feeling and stop or continue on. That way I get a break after the set time/hands. But if I am feel that tilt/playin bad feeling I hit the main X on fulltilt and then yes to each table to close no matter whats going on. Had to do that last week [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]