Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2007, 03:26 PM

Default Re: Posting Question

[ QUOTE ]
Why should you not post?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can show you in an 8 handed game why it it improper to post from the CO.

In an 8 handed game, if you post from the CO, you are paying 1bb for your first 5 hands or .2bb/hand. If you post in turn on the bb, you pay 1.5bb for your first 9 hands, or .167bb/hand, so it cost you less per hand to see your first orbit if you post from the bb rather than the CO.

In 6 max games, posting from the CO is terrible as you are paying .333bb/hand for the first 3 hands as opposed to .25/hand if you wait for the bb.

In 10 seat games it is slightly better to post in the CO if possible. You get 7 hands for 1bb or .143bb/hand and if you wait until the bb, you pay .15bb/hand.

In a 9 handed game the costs are equal, so i guess it really doesn't matter that much.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:31 PM

I post, I am impatient, and waiting would just end up subconsciously tilting me.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why should you not post?

[/ QUOTE ]

In an 8 handed game, if you post from the CO, you are paying 1bb for your first 5 hands or .2bb/hand. If you post in turn on the bb, you pay 1.5bb for your first 9 hands, or .167bb/hand, so it cost you less per hand to see your first orbit if you post from the bb rather than the CO.

In 6 max games, posting from the CO is terrible as you are paying .333bb/hand for the first 3 hands as opposed to .25/hand if you wait for the bb.

In 10 seat games it is slightly better to post in the CO if possible. You get 7 hands for 1bb or .143bb/hand and if you wait until the bb, you pay .15bb/hand.

In a 9 handed game the costs are equal, so i guess it really doesn't matter that much.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can dig that, but having put position makes it not so bad.

Regarding the OP... I will raise ATC when it is folded to me just as I would in LHE. I don't know that this is the best play but so far so good... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2007, 03:49 PM

Posting is not good in a raked game, but hey if you're impatient then it's probably not gonna sink you or anything.

In a "time" game like live, I think posting is more attractive because you can waste alot of time waiting to get into the game.

I'm not all that sure about the limit question, sorry.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:51 PM

At Turning Stone they don't require you to post when you first sit down. They just deal you in.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:52 PM

The post sweetens the pot although it is from your own stack. Regardless of whether or not I posted in the CO, if it folds to me in the CO (no limpers), I am raising close to 50% of my hands. If I am posting then there is 2.5bb in the pot as opposed to 1.5bb in the pot to start the hand so I would be more tempted to attempt a steal, so I would be raising pretty much ATC when folded to me.

I think a better question is how do you play a blind posted in the CO with unknown limpers in front of you?
Old 07-19-2007, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This assumes that the values of playing each position are equal, but they are not.

What we need to know how profitable it is to play the CO posted vs playing the CO, button, and blinds normally. The number of other hands we get to play is actually not first-order relevant since we play them in either case. (Of course, how profitable the CO, button and blinds are would be affected by how many are sitting, so that does play a part, just not in the way you imply.)

My experience in limit was that my losses posting in the CO were about equal to my losses in the SB and my winnings in the button and (unposted) CO were slightly less than my losses in the BB, so posting was superior to waiting.

I have nowhere near enough data on NL to make a conclusion.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why should you not post?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
In NL, most of our profits come from BIG hands. When you dont post in position, you are losing opportunities to win some big pots. The bb is very small relative to the amount of money you could win.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why should you not post?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
In NL, most of our profits come from BIG hands. When you dont post in position, you are losing opportunities to win some big pots. The bb is very small relative to the amount of money you could win.

[/ QUOTE ]

This does not make any sense to me. Please explain.

How does posting or not posting the CO change the value of the hands that you are dealt?

If you post in the CO and are raising ATC, then you aren't trying to win big pots by doing this. You are trying to steal the blinds, and if it doesn't succeed then you are playing a pot in position most of the time. You aren't trying to make big hands with odd crappy cards by posting in the CO.

Please explain your thoughts more, I am confused.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why should you not post?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This does not make any sense to me. Please explain.

How does posting or not posting the CO change the value of the hands that you are dealt?

If you post in the CO and are raising ATC, then you aren't trying to win big pots by doing this. You are trying to steal the blinds, and if it doesn't succeed then you are playing a pot in position most of the time. You aren't trying to make big hands with odd crappy cards by posting in the CO.

Please explain your thoughts more, I am confused.

[/ QUOTE ]
The cost of your post is very small compared the potential of the pots you could win in the next few hands. Im not saying to raise and steal the blinds, just play poker.If you posting in the cutoff only loses one good hand for you..the button. The SB and BB are generally not profitable, so i dont mind not playing them.