Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2007, 11:14 AM

Default Re: To the new posters in MTTs

[ QUOTE ]
It would be great if we could get it down to one more, splitting ours into mid and small stakes, us mid stakers can advise the small, the htt'rs can advise us, seems like a natural fit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree here due to the fact that if this forum loses anymore quality posters there will be to much bad advice to overcome. Rendering a "micro" forum useless and causing it to spiral out of control.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:25 AM

if there is another split and mid stakes players comment on a small stakes post then ppl will automatically assume he's correct because he's a higher stakes player.

i agree the micro stakes will be rendered useless with another split full of bad advice, no converters etc etc.

if everyone does what illini43 says then all will be good.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:26 AM

Another split would be great IF AND ONLY IF the forum software could support a forum type in which all High Stakes forum posts view Mid Stakes forum posts as if they were posted there, and Mid stakes forum posts viewed Micro stakes in the same way.

However, I can say right now that these lovely ancient forums probably can't do that :P.

I agree with OP, as is.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:32 AM

Just a point on non converted hands, they can be from live play, this loose guy in mp1 with about 13k limps in etc.... so surely that is ok.

Good OP, especially the emphasis on that a play can be negative even if you win a hand, I think people don't analyse hands they've played badly but won nearly enough.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:49 AM

also, actually say what the post is about in the subject rather than [ QUOTE ]
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!! what do i do?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-19-2007, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just a point on non converted hands, they can be from live play, this loose guy in mp1 with about 13k limps in etc.... so surely that is ok.

Good OP, especially the emphasis on that a play can be negative even if you win a hand, I think people don't analyse hands they've played badly but won nearly enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I have no problem with unconverted live hands, but I don' think people realize there are suit icons you can click when making a post [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ...

I agree that many posts are "How do I not lose so much" oriented instead of "How can I (if I can) extract more value" or "Faced with a turn re-raise, what kind of range could villain have, and am I ahead?"

Before one posts a hand, a little bit of though should be put into it.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:49 PM

On not being able to use a converter (Live play or PokerRoom skins (haven't found a converter that can handle those)) it is definitly worth the effort to try to set the post up as close to a converted HH as possible, so all should try to do this, using icons and all. Oh and no results.

When I reply to a post, I will try to explain why I think what I do, besides being wrong, there is also a question on style where I feel that a few older posters (I am a newbie) play quite a bit more aggressive than I do and the style described in HOH, so it is not so much a question on what is 'right' (the are very few rights in poker) but also a question on whether something is right according to a TAG approach or according to LAG approach.

There is also the question about how big an edge you have to the field. I know that when I play ($1-$5 buy-in or freerolls) my edge is mainly that I have much more patience than my opponents and that I play a little better. So advice that assumes that I play much better postflop isn't worth that much to me (at least not yet).
Old 07-19-2007, 01:17 PM

Location: I can\'t walk through the park cause it\'s crazy after dark...

I have only been posting here for two days...
I didn't realise this was a lower stakes forum but I just wanted to say some of the posters have very good analytical skills and I have been impressed with the quality of most posts...
I have not posted any of my own hands yet but will follow your advise with regards to hand histories and results...
Old 07-19-2007, 01:20 PM

The fact that the WSOP is now over should mean the more experienced/better/higher stakes players start to post regularly here again (I hope).

I don't believe they are ignoring this forum, as many would have presumably come through here as beginners.

I agree with OP as I have noticed there is a growing element of the "blind leading the blind" recently.

As a relatively new member of the forum I try to avoid posting replies when I feel I can't add something useful to the discussion, and only post a hand when I've spent a long time trying to come to a conclusion but can't.

However this makes it even more frustrating when I get advice from people who really shouldn't be giving it.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The fact that the WSOP is now over should mean the more experienced/better/higher stakes players start to post regularly here again (I hope).

I don't believe they are ignoring this forum, as many would have presumably come through here as beginners.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct and a good point - most of out ballas have been off tackling the WSOP.

[ QUOTE ]

As a relatively new member of the forum I try to avoid posting replies when I feel I can't add something useful to the discussion, and only post a hand when I've spent a long time trying to come to a conclusion but can't.

[/ QUOTE ]

This, however, is a barrier that has to be broken by all new players. I once read an open challenge when I first began on the forums, telling all STT players to find 5 strategy posts a day, read JUST the initial post, and respond. Then compare how you thought through the hand vs other posters - SEE their flaws. If Phil Ivey came and posted advice on this forum and a guy with 1 post countered his point, we DO have the analytical faculties to see if it makes sense. My point is basically don't shy away if you're stuck. Particularly if you are stuck, ask questions. It's taken me months to ask questions I should have asked weeks after I started here; after adjusting to my conclusions I'm seeing some of the biggest improvements of my game, spotting reads faster, etc. Twice this week I've bested thousand+ fields of playerers and gone extremely deep (Busting from 2nd to 15th place three hands straight HURT a few nights ago...hurt...).

Best way to start any hand is by making a list of hands each person in front of you who has called or raise would call or raise with. This is why raising pre-flop is so significant in most hands - the information you can extract from a raise and flop action is well over 75% of the information you need to complete to the river.

Anyway, good luck. Happy grinding. Ask questions, post, etc. but do so from your own analysis and use ranges, not "Obviously he has 77" when your AK runs into an AK7 flop :P.