Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2007, 08:41 PM

Default Re: abarber\'s transformation thread

atleast throw in a 1 mile walk in there daily if not a run....
Old 07-22-2007, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean like all of the soccer moms who do that and are somehow still overweight?

...BAD

OP should hit the gym hard, change his diet, and rock some HIIT cardio... as opposed to plodding along. Without having put up too many program specifics he seems well on his way to that optimal set up.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:49 AM

Latest weigh-in: 7/22/07 263 lbs.

Here's some more details and updates:

1) Lifting: I've always been of the school of thought that you need to slowly work your way back into lifting after a hiatus, so I'm doing a total body circuit 3 days/week for the first 2 weeks. After that adaptation period, I will back to the good ol days of big lifts. Not sure about the specific program, but this program was that last serious one I did, and I had pretty good results with it. As an aside, I think Dan Gastelu is one of the foremost experts in the field of body building and exercise science. I highly recommend his podcasts.

2) Cardio: I am HIIT'ing it. I have done 2 workouts thus far, gradually easing into them. I didn't get too creative. Went to a track with a buddy, and we ran the straightaways and walked the bends. 4 100s the first day, 5 the second. These get intense toward the end. If there is any downside to them, it is that the work interval is too long. Thoughts?

2a) I think I need to add some more cardio in. I just feel like I'm not doing enough with the above. This may become forced with a week straight of travel coming up.

3) Diet: This was always my best part. Although I must admit, the sugar cravings are just hitting me as I type this. I have bought 30 packs of Extra gum to help me through this. We are so lucky we live in an age of artificial sweeteners.

4) Structure/schedule: I'm becoming aware that to an outsider it looks like I am lacking in structure. To be honest, until I hit a wall, I'm not to worried about being militant. I don't plan meals or workouts (too much, but I have a general idea).
Old 07-23-2007, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2) Cardio: I am HIIT'ing it. I have done 2 workouts thus far, gradually easing into them. I didn't get too creative. Went to a track with a buddy, and we ran the straightaways and walked the bends. 4 100s the first day, 5 the second. These get intense toward the end. If there is any downside to them, it is that the work interval is too long. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like these I used to do these in college for soccer. Work your way up to sprinting the straight aways and light jog the turns.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean like all of the soccer moms who do that and are somehow still overweight?

...BAD

OP should hit the gym hard, change his diet, and rock some HIIT cardio... as opposed to plodding along. Without having put up too many program specifics he seems well on his way to that optimal set up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really it shoudl be a mixture of both...HIIT should only be done really twice at most a week which leaves another 5 days or so with no cardio...Add in some moderate intense 30-45 minute elliptical type workouts or bike workouts or even do some jump roping. You do want to get your heart rate up though.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:23 PM

good luck man, I'm looking to get toned up myself. Just bought some new basketball shoes and am going to be hitting the courts so I can own you in 1 on 1 some day.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:34 PM

Its summer get out and do your cardio outside. Bike to the gym
Old 07-24-2007, 10:37 PM

Random update:

I finished my total body circuit, aka I got bored with it. In looking for something new, I stumbled across a number of great routines but decided to give Rippletoe a try. I am a little skeptical about it being taxing enough on my muscles to elicit some serious fat loss, but it's worth a shot. Plus, I love big lifts. I think I could deadlift all day long. Going out to Boston, followed by California, so I won't be able to do much other than cardio for the next week, but I'll be sure to post an update when I get back. Thanks for the support guys.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:01 PM

good luck with the rippetoe...remember most fat loss is due to diet and lifting weights will prevent your body from burning muscle while at a deficit...

unless you are going to do a specially designed fat loss program like TT or NROL, then you might as well go with a rippetoe or something similar...
Old 07-25-2007, 03:25 AM

abarber,

Good luck. In short, here's my exercise suggestions:

Cardio: Sprints. Lots of them. Once a week, run long distance to mix it up. Swim laps if you can as well. Your body adapts quickly - you'll be surprised how far you can run in 2 months.

Weights: Squat. Deadlift. Clean. Bench. Push-ups. Dips. Chin-ups. Booya.