Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2007, 07:39 PM

Default Re: my secret microweapon: the continuation checkraise

Since we are talking about continuation checkraises I will share this gem. I also like to use the triple barrel checkminraise bluff from time to time as well. Villain was in every hand betting every street.

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.02/$0.05 Blinds - 4 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $5.09
Hero (BB): $5.78
UTG: $3.09
BTN: $9.59

Preflop: Hero is dealt J 7 (4 Players)
UTG folds, BTN calls $0.05, SB calls $0.03, Hero checks

Flop: ($0.15) 5 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 (3 Players)
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="red">BTN bets $0.15</font>, SB folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.30</font>, BTN calls $0.15

Turn: ($0.75) 2 (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BTN bets $0.40</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.80</font>, BTN calls $0.40

River: ($2.35) 8 (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BTN bets $1.40</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $2.80</font>, BTN folds

Pot Size: $6.55 ($0.25 Rake)
Old 07-17-2007, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't like it .... but holla ? (Talked about this in my well)

[/ QUOTE ]

Link to post? Didnt read it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was yesterday, I'm sure you can find it, but it is all about balance. How do you prefer to balance your game, your bluffs, you good hands and your not so good hands.

I just do not like to not apply pressure and give free cards, you are basically taken a passive line and you sound like you want to live with it.

I don't like being passive, if I'm getting floated, then I might tighten up or not, but I start firing more barrels, I start 3betting ... I start breathing fire in other words.

Potentially you are risking missing out on value on your good hands.

But then again I don't mind being stacked on a bluff once in a while, so that makes it easier.

But this is not bad, I just don't like it (construction of game, balance and so on), still it is more personal preference more than anything.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since we are talking about continuation checkraises I will share this gem. I also like to use the triple barrel checkminraise bluff from time to time as well. Villain was in every hand betting every street.

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.02/$0.05 Blinds - 4 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="red">BTN bets $0.15</font>, SB folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.30</font>, BTN calls $0.15

Hero checks, <font color="red">BTN bets $0.40</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.80</font>, BTN calls $0.40

Hero checks, <font color="red">BTN bets $1.40</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $2.80</font>, BTN folds

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats spewing, thats no gem [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
No really, there is not a single bet I like in this hand, my hair on my arms stands up. Screenname on stars? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-17-2007, 07:42 PM

This is very much a move I make a lot in heads up games when my opponents are taking to many weak stabs at pots. I wouldn't use it 6max though; as fees said, would prefer just cbetting and 2nd barreling when neccessary.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is ugly. You give great odds for anyone to continue drawing, and any thinking player that wants to exercise some pot control will just check behind you.

It's very possible you had the best hand here.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats spewing, thats no gem [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
No really, there is not a single bet I like in this hand, my hair on my arms stands up. Screenname on stars? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. Want help as I have only used that line 3x in 45k hands. But I do use the triple barrel checkraise bluff when tilted hard. Only problem with the triple barrel checkraise bluff is that a hand that calls flop and turn is more then likely calling river lol.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is very much a move I make a lot in heads up games when my opponents are taking to many weak stabs at pots. I wouldn't use it 6max though; as fees said, would prefer just cbetting and 2nd barreling when neccessary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget, that poker guns actually have three barrels, tho use at own risk
Old 07-17-2007, 07:45 PM

Yeah, you have to choose the opponents real carefully. I would go as far as saying that with extensive tableselection one shouldn't be doing this at all or rarely at 50NL-ish.

I have to disagree with your definition of you perfect c-bet flop (or ccr-flop if you like). With a low paird board (244 orso) the chance that opponents holds an overpair or that he will have 2 overcards encreases. Yet again if you tableselct well the kind of opponents you're playing against will not be too keen on laying them down.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just do not like to not apply pressure and give free cards, you are basically taken a passive line and you sound like you want to live with it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Meh, not really. I do this when I feel that it is highly likely that a) villain will call my cbet with whatever crap he has (which might be better crap than my crap), and b) that if I check to villain he will bet with his crap. My plan is to checkraise the crap out his crap, which hardly is passive. I wont ALWAYS work of course, but I am sure you have missed some turn checkraises in your lifetime, going for the stack-a-donk. And that is hardly a passive line IMO.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:52 PM

I've encountered some opponents that will raise my cbets a lot especially on dry and paired boards... Double barreling is as effective (if not more) and cheaper (he might have a hand).
this play (or just reraising the flop) might work against very idiotic 'I bet all kinds of crap and never believe you untill you bet more than once' opponents, but there are easyer ways to combat these opponents: hit something and vbet the crap out of them.

EDIT: I bet you can't show us statistics over a large sample that show this is profitable in the long run.