Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 12:33 AM

Default Re: TheMetetron\'s European Trip Report

Ah, sweet. Was looking for a place to grab dinner there. Might just pop inside, look around, and grab some food. Any sort of dress code I should be aware of?
Old 07-18-2007, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ah, sweet. Was looking for a place to grab dinner there. Might just pop inside, look around, and grab some food. Any sort of dress code I should be aware of?

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't been thr in like 2 yrs but i believe it was smart casual. IOW proper trousers, a collared shirt and not sneakers/trainers.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:49 AM

metetron - somebody posted in B&M a few months back that they wouldn't let him in for not wearing proper dress shoes (was wearing sneakers I believe).
He had to go down the street to buy a pair and then returned. Was still wearing a crappy shirt he said but they reluctantly decided to let him in anyway just because he seemed so desperate to play there.
That was what he said anyway.

So definitely don't show up in t-shirt, jeans and sneakers. Sounds like you flat-out won't get in.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:48 AM

Depending on whether I want to wear it all day or not I may or may not go to the Aviation Club. If dress shoes, designer jeans, a button up t-shirt, and a blazer aren't good enough it isn't worth it. Don't think I'll bother anyway as in the middle of summer, shorts and a t-shirt with sandals are likely to be my dress.

God the sun is going to feel good [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I did just get sunburned at Pismo Beach last week though so maybe not.

For anyone traveling to Paris in the future www.mappy.fr is invaluable. Also, seriously look at getting a Carte Orange if you can. I'll report back how me trying to get one goes tomorrow.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:27 AM

That reminds me.
Don't expect many places to have air-conditioning in Paris or London. Maybe your hotel-room though, not sure.

told Teresa you were about to go to all these cities and she said, "That's nice, good for him" or something to that effect.
I said, "F that. Lets just kill him and take his tickets."

Anyway, have a good trip and obviously I'm insanely jealous.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:12 AM

The Generator is a pretty popular hostel. I stayed there for a night about 3 years ago. I didn't have a reservation but I had to crash there in a friends room because I got too [censored] up on the absinthe they serve at their bar. Expect a ton of Australians. The place is a bit run down, it is a hostel after all, but it has a good location. You'll be able to walk to the British Museum within 5 minutes. Russel Square is a nice place and it has some good amenities for travelers. There is an internet cafe just down the street from the tube station (Go left as you come out of the station if I remember correctly).
Old 07-18-2007, 04:23 AM

9 to 5 in one day at the Louvre is ambitious, imo. I'd do the morning there, walk/take the Metro to L'Arc de Triumph and eat on Champs Elysee, then head back after a couple hours outside if you still feel like it.

Be sure to plan your trip through the Louvre, it's huge. Hit the more popular things in the AM, the Venus, Winged Victory, and Mona Lisa areas will be packed by midday.

FWIW, I liked the tourist stuff in London better than Paris, but each carries it's own atmosphere.

Have an awesome trip and take a million pictures.

-d
Old 07-18-2007, 04:24 AM

Re: Aviation Club

It's ridiculously easy to find, just (the equivalent of) a couple blocks down from L'Arc on the east side (right side as you face L'Arc).

-d
Old 07-18-2007, 06:39 AM

I assume you have a map already, but for getting around London, this website is invaluable - the journey planner will tell you how to get from A to B via bus, tube or walking and how long it will take: Transport for London

I am a Londoner and use it all the time
Old 07-18-2007, 09:19 AM

Parisians are rude just like Londoners, may not be fair to generalise that to all French like its not with all Brits.

I like your planning, even though I live in London I haven't done a lot of the local stuff, so I might just borrow your schedule one weekend.

The only thing I would recommend is getting the Eurostar train from Paris to London, its city centre to city centre and your London hotel is central and on the tube line. It will almost certainly be faster overall than moving through two airports, and avoiding the need for a bus from Luton to London will make the trip much more enjoyable.