Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2007, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Big Stacked AKs

I rarely reraise preflop in position with AK, but his weak attempt at a steal deserves a higher pricetag. I think you want the nuts here so take a free card, for sure. If the turn comes a brick, he's putting you an AK, AQ probably. I'd reraise any turn bet for a free showdown. If you hit the gin card, you're taking his stack. If you peel an Ace or a King, bet half the pot.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:19 PM

Thanks for the responses.

OK So I decide I'm going to bet as it is a pretty big pot and I wouldn't mind taking it down. If Villian doesn't have TT or 77, I have a crapload of outs so I don't mind putting it all in here. I thought of pushing, but I think that would make my hand look weak and I was trying to represent a big pair, so I bet 3000. Villain of course shoved his 4900 and I called. He showed 99. The board bricked out and I was down to about 9K.

I can see an argument for shoving this flop, but I'm not sure he was folding anyway.

Pocono Drew
Old 07-16-2007, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the responses.

OK So I decide I'm going to bet as it is a pretty big pot and I wouldn't mind taking it down. If Villian doesn't have TT or 77, I have a crapload of outs so I don't mind putting it all in here. I thought of pushing, but I think that would make my hand look weak and I was trying to represent a big pair, so I bet 3000. Villain of course shoved his 4900 and I called. He showed 99. The board bricked out and I was down to about 9K.

I can see an argument for shoving this flop, but I'm not sure he was folding anyway.

Pocono Drew

[/ QUOTE ]

That's about the worst of his range, and he played it incredibly poorly. How can you call that rr with 9s OOP with his stack? He should have shoved or folded P/F. Or he should have shoved on the flop. But, as usual, idiots get lucky. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-16-2007, 02:39 PM

OK, first of all, if I hit an ace on the turn, the last thing I am doing is betting. Maybe with a king. This is not meta-game 305, it's poker 101. If you hit an ace and you bet it after SB checks, he folds. Remember that you 3-bet, so your range is thin enough; checking the ace let's him do the betting for you. Let him try to represent it on the river with a suicide push.

Secondly, and I'm still learning this, there are times where you want to push your flush with overs and times when you want to let it go. If you look at Villain's range, it's 88+; AQs+. If you want to get cute, throw in QJs or A10s, because who the [censored] knows, but let's assume that at 100, a bad player's range is more like the former range here. One thing is for sure, he has so few chips left that your FE totally blows. And he's giving you a free card in hope that you push. So, what do you do here?

Barry
Old 07-16-2007, 04:07 PM

I'm taking the free card.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
all in

my guess he have AQ

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't make sense to me. Why give him a chance to get away when he only has 2 outs (b/c the Qc is awesome for you).

I'd check behind on this flop and call if he shoves on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree'd. Check behind flop for free card...you have a big hand here.

And if he has another Ace, why do we want him running?

Also, raise a bit more pre-flop. You can get more value out of this hand.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why does everyone want to bet?

Is he calling with a worse hand? If so what are they?

Is he folding a better hand? If so which ones?

Is our hand vulnerable if it is ahead? If so to which hands that villain holds?

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Because either our hand is best or we're flipping, and we should have some FE on our bet.

2) I don't think we can expect a reasonable call from a worst hand, except for the random awful donk call from like a worse A that is just really confused.

3) I think we do have some FE against JJ especially, hands like 99 and 88 that just couldn't fold initially, maybe a nitty QQ, but probably not.

4) Our hand is vulnerable to under pairs, that we're now flipping with, when we brick the turn. Additionally, if we make a pair on the turn (or maybe a flush even,) we're likely to not get action from QQ and JJ, so it's not like we can get action from them on later streets. We may fold JJ lower pairs out on the flop, but if we brick the turn I'd say we have no FE against those hands, and indeed they're probably shoving a non A or K turn (JJ may check again if the turn is a queen, but QQ is probably also checking a turn Q, so that doesn't help us all that much. Additionally, turn Q means AQ got there, which makes it not the greatest card in the world to shove at, even if we could fold JJ.) Our hand isn't vulnerable to AQ, but I can't really imagine AQ putting more money in this hand while still behind unless like the Qc hits on the turn or something.

edit: Ok, I revised it, I still think it's a push, but it's closer than I thought initially.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why does everyone want to bet?

Is he calling with a worse hand? If so what are they?

Is he folding a better hand? If so which ones?

Is our hand vulnerable if it is ahead? If so to which hands that villain holds?

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Because we rate to have the best hand right now, but won't if the turn bricks.

2) QQ and JJ will almost certainly call, and they are pretty solidly behind (and are also the most likely villain holdings.)

3) I don't know that a better hand is folding, but although QQ and JJ are behind us, we profit more when they fold than we do when they call, and JJ could certainly decide to fold here given the action.

4) Our hand is vulnerable to under pairs when we brick the turn. Additionally, if we make a pair on the turn, we're likely to not get action from QQ and JJ, so it's not like we can get action from them on later streets. We may fold JJ and QQ out on the flop, but if we brick the turn I'd say we have no FE against those hands, and indeed they're probably shoving a non A or K turn (JJ may check again if the turn is a queen, but QQ is probably also checking a turn Q, so that doesn't help us all that much. Additionally, turn Q means AQ got there, which makes it not the greatest card in the world to shove at, even if we could fold JJ.) Our hand isn't vulnerable to AQ, but I can't really imagine AQ putting more money in this hand while still behind unless like the Qc hits on the turn or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

All good answers. Thank you. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I guess I am not worried about turn bricks because there is no way I am folding this hand to any turn card anyway. I also think that checking behind on the flop might put this thought in his mind, "Oh he missed! Now I can shove-bluff the turn!" Of course when he does you snap call and he is screwed on a hand that he would have folded to a flop shove.

Anyhow, given his stack and the size of the pot, there is no way I am folding this hand on the turn anyway. I might as well let him fire away. It seems to me that the only way the $ is not going into this pot by the turn is if I shove the flop and he folds a worse hand.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:17 PM

yeah a check back here is good.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:37 PM

shoveeeeeeeeeeeee. Theres 4500 in the pot and he has 5400 behind. We have a big draw, just stick it in there. We cant play pot control or anything like that. The pot is big enough to take it now ,,,shoveeeee (or bet 4k, same thing)...