Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2007, 12:01 AM

Default Re: New York Times Crossword

[ QUOTE ]
I wish they would just write the clues like Jeopardy questions. I have no idea WTF they are asking for with most of the bizaaro terse clues in the NYT. It's like they're trying to use as few words as possible to write the clues and be as obtuse as possible. But it's not like real difficulty, it's just a retarded in-crowd thing where once you learn the code words and style you can decrypt their cyphers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd hate to go against the grain, but after I've seen one of those "tricky" clues more than once it's boring to me. If I had seen them all I'd hate them. It's fun when they hint at whether or not it's plural by the way they give the clue, even though it's not really obvious that that's what they're doing.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Man these things are hella hard or im just a dumass lol [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

They just take practice. After you do them for a while (years), it'll get to the point where you start recognizing the styles of the frequent crossword makers.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems to be true. Lots of times I'd suggest something to my mom and she'd say, "no that's not it. That's not how they do these." She's really familiar with the types of clues, questions, and tricks. It's actually all pretty interesting. Definitely something I'll get into later on in life.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wish they would just write the clues like Jeopardy questions. I have no idea WTF they are asking for with most of the bizaaro terse clues in the NYT. It's like they're trying to use as few words as possible to write the clues and be as obtuse as possible. But it's not like real difficulty, it's just a retarded in-crowd thing where once you learn the code words and style you can decrypt their cyphers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Half the fun is figuring out the cryptic clues in the latter half of the week. The Monday and Tuesday clues are akin to the Jeopardy clues in non-crypticness as well as difficulty.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:12 AM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

[ QUOTE ]
my mom does it every single weekend. Sometimes she needs a little help from my dad or me if I'm around, but she's pretty damn good at these things.

She's 56.

[/ QUOTE ]

My mom is the same way. We've been buying the omnibus books for her for years (she prefers the "Tough" ones.) Usually she's almost finished by the time I roll out of bed.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:34 PM

the NYT "cryptic" clues suck. Get the Independent, Guardian or Times from the UK for a dose of real crossword. They don't make them gradually harder thru the week either. They're hard every day.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:42 PM

Peter,

What about the NYT cryptics sucks? I have never seen them but the ones over here are also plagued with the same 'in-crowd' crap, no?
Old 07-15-2007, 04:54 PM

i've done 2-4 of them every week for the past 5 years or so (currently 21)

at first the monday one was the only one i had a chance on but now i can usually get the m-w done in one sitting while i'll have to put the other ones down and come back to them.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Peter,

What about the NYT cryptics sucks? I have never seen them but the ones over here are also plagued with the same 'in-crowd' crap, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I should clarify. The language deployment of the US cryptic clues is more terse and less artful than many of the UK cryptic clues. The grid layout is also a lot more simplistic, thus I think a NYT crossword requires less skill to complete. Add the fact that they are frequently mixed cryptic/trivia and it's like, what do you want, a cryptic or a quick crossword?

But then perhaps I'm UK cliquey. Guess I have to hold up the Euro end of the bargain...