Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2007, 09:21 AM

Default Re: How would you handle this?

[ QUOTE ]
NL home cash game. Player A bets big on the river. Player B calls. Player A says clearly: "Nice call you got it.". Player B says "thanks" and fires his cards into the muck and scoops the pot .

Player A sheepishly flips his cards over and says he has 9 high and missed his flush draw. But he actually hit a weird inside straight draw which gave him the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once the pot has been collected by a player the hand is over. I thought this was a well-established principle. The guy who conceded should not get a penny...
Old 07-14-2007, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
NL home cash game. Player A bets big on the river. Player B calls. Player A says clearly: "Nice call you got it.". Player B says "thanks" and fires his cards into the muck and scoops the pot.

Player A sheepishly flips his cards over and says he has 9 high and missed his flush draw. But he actually hit a weird inside straight draw which gave him the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

More then likely I would say A gets the pot. It close as he did in a way concede the pot. He should not of concede the pot orally then flip his cards over. Should receive a KITN and the pot. B should not of mucked his hand, should of shown his hand. All this set aside, they should of retrived B's mucked hand from the muck, it is allowed.

All I can say is these problems would not happen if players simply kept their mouths shut at the showdown and either showed both cards or folded and of couirse in proper order.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Show two to win pretty much solves this

[/ QUOTE ]

This reminds me of a thread called "Was I justified, or out of line" [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Now that is entirely hilarious. I actually started this thread because of the one you mentioned. Good catch.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The ideal resolution to this situation is for Player B to voluntarily ship the pot to Player A. Player B did not deserve to win this pot and should not be trying to claim it.

If the players cannot reach this agreement, and an "official" ruling is required of the game host, then there can be one of two outcomes:

1. (Standard) Cards speak. Player B mucked. Player A has cards. Unless Player A was deliberately undercalling his hand (obviously not the case here), then Player A gets the pot.

2. (Non-standard). "You got it" = verbal binding action. Player A therefore mucked first and sacrificed the pot.

I do not like #2, and would always use #1 if I were the host.

-Andrew

[/ QUOTE ]

best answer def use this
Old 07-15-2007, 10:02 PM

While player A may have scoop the pot.... player B still has his hand and it is still live. Grabbing a pot before the other player(s) hands are muck does not automatically grant you the pot.

But I agree with most people here.... the cards speak, player B obviously had the best hand and his hand was never mucked.

While player B mis-read his hand, which caused A to muck his cards.... A still has the responsibility to protect his hand, B's actions were not attentional, and mis-reading your hand does not change what your hand is.

Ship the pot to B.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:09 AM

Player B's cards definitely not recoverable? If possible I'd retrieve B's cards in the interests of fairness, give both players a KITN, and award the pot to A.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If possible I'd retrieve B's cards in the interests of fairness, give both players a KITN, and award the pot to A.

[/ QUOTE ]

"fairness"- you mean, in case B misread his hand as well and has half of the pot?
Old 07-16-2007, 11:25 AM

Let me just add some more detail and a time frame.

Player B has collected the pot and his winnings are now mixed with his stack. Dealer has scooped 50 cards and is beginning shuffling. Player A has his two cards face down about a foot in front of him. He shoved them there as he was giving up. He is chatting with his buddy beside him and then flips the cards over and shows how he missed his flush draw. Then somebody says he caught a straight.

Player B looks up as he has begun stacking his chips and nobody really knows what to do. Somebody asks Player B if he had that beat and somebody else points out it's the nuts. Player A actually graciously gave it up saying it was his fault.

Fortunately, this is a fun game and everybody just moved on. It was pretty awkward for those few moments though.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dealer has scooped 50 cards and is beginning shuffling

[/ QUOTE ]

No chance player A can get any part of the pot. Once the cards have been scooped thats it. hand is done.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
While player A may have scoop the pot.... player B still has his hand and it is still live. Grabbing a pot before the other player(s) hands are muck does not automatically grant you the pot.

I think you have player A and B reversed.

But I agree with most people here.... the cards speak, player B obviously had the best hand and his hand was never mucked.

While player B mis-read his hand, which caused A to muck his cards.... A still has the responsibility to protect his hand, B's actions were not attentional, and mis-reading your hand does not change what your hand is.

Ship the pot to B.

[/ QUOTE ]