Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2007, 03:37 PM

Default Re: How do they do it?

This is precisely the reason I love SNGs - the "mini-tournament" aspect of it can be very exciting and doesn't require an insane amount of patience. The longest one I sat through was maybe a few hours max, and the end result is quite visible.

Not sure how the grinders do it, I don't play full time. But perhaps switching the game up will be more exciting?
Old 07-22-2007, 05:22 AM

In order to play poker professionaly, you need to have way more resovle than most anyone else. You can work for 12 hours straigt and come home wiht less money. Thats the only job in the world you can really do that at.

If you find poker boring, don't play it. If you want to make it more exciting, pay attention to EVERYTHING in the hands that you are not in. I am a huge people person, so being able to look and interact with people for hours on end is fun and a challenge to me. Think of it as a game without cards, cos thats really what it is anyways.

Also, if you can afford it (it seems like you have a good job) try different playing styles for fun, play super aggro sometimes and just try to runover people. Play drunk once, hell just mix it up in general.

Want more advice PM me I love to preach about motivation and such. Also, look for Steve Zolotow's archived article on intrinsic vs. extrinsic motivation from Cardplayer
Old 07-23-2007, 12:45 AM

Bring yourself above it. There's nothing special in, as you say, sitting at a poker table all day every day. Once you accept that you don't need or want their respect you can just play the game for yourself - or not bother at all. It's the media that has suddenly made it cool to be a pro poker player. For the most part there is nothing cool about sitting bored out of your brains for 70 hours a week, if thats the way it makes you feel.

Some people do very well out of it, some people do it because they are unemployable in other areas, some people just plain love it enough to sit there all day.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really, really, want people to respect my play and to respect my own play. I want people to say "he is a good player," not "what a donkey."

[/ QUOTE ]

I firmly believe that it is this exact attitude that keeps my brother from being a truly great poker player.