Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2007, 01:36 AM

Default Re: Newb Question

[ QUOTE ]
Hybrids are almost without question easier to hit...even for the pros. I tried some out at the range for the very first time yesterday...I'll be buying a 2 hybrid to replace (and gain 10yds) my 2iron.

[/ QUOTE ]
I hit irons straighter and more consistently. Not that I hit it all that long, but I'm long enough that it's basically never a limiting factor for me, especially when it comes at the expense of accuracy.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:24 AM

i just read an article today on iron hitting. the tip was to place a dime 3 inches before the ball and try to touch both the dime and the ball on your swing. i.e.: touch ground at the dime, and then skim the grass to the ball. do you guys agree? wouldnt this prevent me from coming down on the ball?

p.s. - is $125 for 30-40 minutes with a golf teacher about the going rate?
Old 07-13-2007, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i just read an article today on iron hitting. the tip was to place a dime 3 inches before the ball and try to touch both the dime and the ball on your swing. i.e.: touch ground at the dime, and then skim the grass to the ball. do you guys agree? wouldnt this prevent me from coming down on the ball?

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds backwards. Are you sure it's not hit the ball, then scrape the dime off the ground?
Old 07-13-2007, 10:54 AM

its on page 24 of golf magazine, but i think it may be for chipping only
Old 07-13-2007, 11:37 AM

It's wrong for anything...you shouldn't be hitting the earth before the ball...EVER.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
its on page 24 of golf magazine, but i think it may be for chipping only

[/ QUOTE ]

doublecheck it, it almost surely means place the dime to the left of the ball (for a right hander).
Old 07-13-2007, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

p.s. - is $125 for 30-40 minutes with a golf teacher about the going rate?

[/ QUOTE ]

$125 for 30-40 minutes is towards the higher end for a lesson. You should be able to find someone charging around $45-$55 for the same amount of time.
The guy who charges $125 probably gets away with it for a reason though, so if you can afford it, go for it.

That whole dime thing sounds pretty weird. I don't really know what to think about it, especially for a beginner.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:52 PM

Ya, 40-55 is the right range for most teaching pros...even ones that are pretty good. Shop around...get testimonials. The personal part is very important...especially if you're going to be getting more than a couple lessons with the guy (and even then...).
Old 07-16-2007, 11:33 AM

i basically picked up golf because the one of the other interns plays....we go about once a week. Heres another etiquette question. Can we rent golf clubs plus the walker thing between the two of us. If our tee shots are far apart one walks with the clubs and the other takes his appropriate club and walks to each ball. we also both have our own putters. or is splitting clubs forwned upon?
Old 07-16-2007, 01:07 PM

Generally most courses require each player to have their own bag and set of clubs.

Renting clubs is so expensive - you can get a starter set or a used set on craigslist for under $100.